1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of a composite function

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sets A and B are defined respectively by

[tex]A={x\in R : 0\leq x\leq 1}[/tex]

[tex]B={x\in R : 1\leq x\leq 2}[/tex]

and the functions f and g are defined respectively by

where f(A)=B , g(B)=C with C as the range of the function g .

Find the range of the composite function gf(A)=C

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]gf(x)=1+\frac{3}{(x-1)^2}[/tex] with domain [0,1)

so the range is (1, infinity)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

That doesn't seem right. Are you sure you have defined your sets A and B correctly? As it is now the domain of B includes 1, but 1 is not a valid value, because g(1) is undefined.

Secondly if you plug a function f that sends A to B into another function g then g should take values from B as input. You on the other hand have g taking values from A as input.

Lastly if the domain of g o f is [0,1) then the range you found is certainly wrong. g o f is a function that increases in the interval [0,1) so the minimum value of the range cannot be 1 since (g o f)(0)>1.
  4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    ok , i see my mistake , so the correct range should be [4 , infinity) ? But the answer given is 2/3<=x<=4/3
  5. Apr 15, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

You didn't answer all my questions:

Secondly if 2/3 is in the range of g o f then 2/3=1+3/(x-1)^2 has a solution for x which is in the domain of g o f. Check that this is not the case.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook