What is the range of a rational function?

In summary, the range of the given rational function is y ≥ 0 or y ≤ 4, with critical numbers y = 0 and -4. To find the range, set y = 0 and y - 4 = 0 and test numbers to the left, in between, and to the right to see which regions satisfy the inequality.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
Homework Statement

The following equation defines a rational function.Find its Range
f(x) = x2/(x-1)

The attempt at a solution

Let y = x2/(x-1)

=>y(x-1) = x2
=>xy-y = x2
=>x2-xy+y = 0

comparing with the general form of quadratic equation ax2+bx+c = 0,
a=1, b=-y, c=y.

Putting the values in quadratic formula,

x = y±√(y2 - 4y)/2

It is clear that f(x) will only be real when the term y2-4y is greater than or equal to zero. So,

y2-4y ≥ 0

y(y-4) ≥ 0 ---------(i)

divide both sides by y,
y-4 ≥ 0
y ≥ 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However just by looking at the discriminant it is clear that y ≤ 0. How do I get that? When I divide y-4 on both sides of (i), I get y≥0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can y-4 be negative?

th4450 said:
Can y-4 be negative?

I don't get what you're trying to say.

What I mean is that along with y-4 ≥ 0, there is another interval for values of range which is supposed to be y ≤ 0. How do I get that?

What happens when you multiply (or divide) both sides of an inequality like [itex]a \le b[/itex], what sign goes here [itex]-a\ ?\ -b[/itex]

genericusrnme said:
What happens when you multiply (or divide) both sides of an inequality like [itex]a \le b[/itex], what sign goes here [itex]-a\ ?\ -b[/itex]

-a≥-b?

But isn't that because we multiplied '-' on both sides of the inequality?? :confused:

Do you mean this is the way to do it??

y2-4y ≥ 0

y(y-4) ≥ 0 ---------(i)

multiply both sides by '-1'

-(y-4)y ≤ 0
divide both sides by -(y-4)

y≤0?

From here, take different cases;
y(y-4) ≥ 0

Suppose y-4=0 then;
Suppose y-4<0 then;
Suppose y-4>0 then;

y-4 = 0 => y=4
y-4 > 0 => y>4
y-4 < 0 => y<4?

Still I don't get you. I take the three different possible cases. What do I do with them? Do I have to check each to see which are correct? Or somehow use them to get y ≤ 0?

If (y-4) < 0, then (y-4) is negative

What happens now when you divide

y(y-4) ≥ 0

by the negative number (y-4)?

y ≤ 0. :smile:
Thank you.

Just a couple of questions to clear it up. When all the three possibilities were tried, how should I have known that the answer I got by y-4<0 one of the two intervals?
And can I find the second interval that I had found in my original solution using this method?

You know that it is correct because you're just checking equalities at all points, you're free to pick a value for y (or set of values for y) and check each of them.
When you set y-4<0 you are checking every y that's less than 4
When you set y-4=0 you are checking for y=0
When you set y-4>0 you are checking every y that's greater than 4
By doing this you have checked every possible value for y.

Using this method you will find ALL solutions

y(y-4) ≥ 0

Suppose y-4>0 then
y ≥ 0
Which just returns y>4

Suppose y-4=0 then
y*0=0
Which is obviously true, so y=4 is valid, combined with the first result we get
y ≥ 4

Suppose y-4<0 then
0 ≥ y

And so we arrive at the two sets of solutions using this method
0 ≥ y
y ≥ 4

Thanks a lot genericusername. :smile:. That cleared it up.

No problem buddy! :biggrin:

PrincePhoenix said:
a=1, b=-y, c=y.

Putting the values in quadratic formula,

x = [y±√(y2 - 4y)]/2 [tex]\text{You must have grouping symbols
around the numerator.}[/tex]

It is clear that f(x) will only be real when the term y2-4y is greater than or equal to zero. So,

y2-4y ≥ 0

y(y-4) ≥ 0 ---------(i)

divide both sides by y, [tex]\text{You are not allowed to divide away the variable.}[/tex]
y-4 ≥ 0
y ≥ 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However just by looking at the discriminant it is clear that y ≤ 0. How do I get that? When I divide y-4 on both sides of (i), I get y≥0.

It must be that [tex]y(y - 4) \ge 0.[/tex]

Get critical numbers by setting y = 0 and y - 4 = 0 and solving for y in each respective equation.

So the critical numbers are y = 0, -4.

Test numbers to the left, in between, and to the right to see which
regions satisfy the inequality.

Get to your desired range from there.

1. What is the range of a quadratic equation?

The range of a quadratic equation is the set of all possible output values or y-coordinates that can be obtained by plugging in different input values or x-coordinates. In other words, it is the vertical extent of the parabola formed by the quadratic equation.

2. How can I determine the range of a quadratic equation?

To determine the range of a quadratic equation, you can use the vertex form of the equation, which is y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the vertex. The range will be all real numbers greater than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex if the coefficient 'a' is positive, and all real numbers less than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex if the coefficient 'a' is negative.

3. Can the range of a quadratic equation be negative?

Yes, the range of a quadratic equation can be negative. This can happen if the quadratic equation has a negative coefficient for the squared term, resulting in a parabola that opens downwards. In this case, the range will be all real numbers less than or equal to the y-coordinate of the vertex.

4. Is the range of a quadratic equation always infinite?

No, the range of a quadratic equation is not always infinite. It depends on the nature of the parabola formed by the equation. If the parabola has a minimum or maximum point, then the range will be finite. If the parabola is a straight line, then the range will be infinite.

5. Can the range of a quadratic equation be a complex number?

Yes, the range of a quadratic equation can be a complex number. This can happen if the quadratic equation has complex roots, which means that the parabola does not intersect the x-axis. In this case, the range will be all complex numbers.