Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of sqrt

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1

brt

Hi,

Apologies for the trivialness of the question, but I'm not so great at this. I was wondering why the square root of a real number is positive. Why is sqrt(9) = 3, and not -3 as well, since (-3)² would give 9. Is it just a condition you set, that the function values must be positive? At least I thought it was, googling for it produces sites that tell the opposite, such as this one: http://thesaurus.maths.org/mmkb/entry.html?action=entryByConcept&id=1015 [Broken]. Are they wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    The principal square root function of x is defined to give the positive value that when squared gives x. It is only a convention.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    every number has two square roots, however to differentiate between them, [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is defined to be positive. The notation for both roots is [tex]\pm \sqrt{X}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook