What is the Range of the Given Expression When ##\sin 2\beta≠0##?

In summary: So the maximum and minimum are both at cos(α)=cos(β), and it has a limit of +-infinity?In summary, the given equation has a single maximum and a single minimum (unless cos(α)=cos(β), but that special case is trivial), and it has always the same limit for x-> +- infinity.
Saitama

Homework Statement

If ##\beta## is such that ##\sin 2\beta≠0##, then show that the expression ##\displaystyle \frac{x^2+2x\cos\alpha+1}{x^2+2x\cos\beta+1}## (x real) always lies between ##\cos^2\alpha/\cos^2\beta## and ##\sin^2\alpha/\sin^2\beta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can rewrite the given expression to
[tex]\frac{(x+\cos\alpha)^2+\sin^2\alpha}{(x+\cos\beta)^2+\sin^2\beta}[/tex]
What should I do next? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this expression has a single maximum and a single minimum (unless cos(α)=cos(β), but that special case is trivial)) and it has always the same limit for x-> +- infinity. I don't know if it is possible to find those maximal/minimal points in an analytic way, but it looks like an interesting approach.

mfb said:
I think this expression has a single maximum and a single minimum (unless cos(α)=cos(β), but that special case is trivial)) and it has always the same limit for x-> +- infinity. I don't know if it is possible to find those maximal/minimal points in an analytic way, but it looks like an interesting approach.

I can't use limits or calculus for this problem. :(

Hmm... but what if you know the maximum and minimum (by some "clever guessing" aka analysis) and you can show that all other values are smaller/larger?

Because you have to show it lies between two values of which, in general, either could be the larger, it will probably be easiest if you break it into separate cases on that basis.
Another complication is that there's no limit given on the ranges of alpha and beta. I would try to show that it suffices to prove it for those being in the range 0 to pi/2, say.
Having done that, I would try subtracting the lower of the presumptive bounds and try to show the result is positive, etc.

Okay so I tried this again but I couldn't use your hints. :(

Let the given expression be y. Rearranging,
[tex]x^2(1-y)+2x(\cos 2\alpha-y\cos 2\beta)+(1-y)=0[/tex]
The discriminant must be positive here. Using this condition, I was able to prove that the range (y) lies between ##\cos^2\alpha/\cos^2\beta## and ##\sin^2\alpha/\sin^2\beta##. Is this a good way to solve the problem?

Pranav-Arora said:
Okay so I tried this again but I couldn't use your hints. :(

Let the given expression be y. Rearranging,
[tex]x^2(1-y)+2x(\cos 2\alpha-y\cos 2\beta)+(1-y)=0[/tex]
The discriminant must be positive here. Using this condition, I was able to prove that the range (y) lies between ##\cos^2\alpha/\cos^2\beta## and ##\sin^2\alpha/\sin^2\beta##. Is this a good way to solve the problem?
Sounds much better than anything I thought of.

1. What is the meaning of "range" in the given expression?

The range of a given expression refers to the set of all possible values that the expression can produce. It represents the output or result of the expression.

2. How is the range of an expression calculated?

The range of an expression is calculated by plugging in different input values and determining the corresponding output values. The resulting set of output values make up the range of the expression.

3. Can the range of an expression be infinite?

Yes, the range of an expression can be infinite if the expression has no upper or lower bound on its output values. This is common in exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. How does the domain of an expression affect its range?

The domain of an expression, which represents the set of all possible input values, can have a direct impact on the range. If certain input values are not allowed due to restrictions on the domain, then those values will not be included in the range.

5. Are there any special cases where the range of an expression is limited?

Yes, there are special cases where the range of an expression may be limited. For example, a rational function may have vertical asymptotes or a polynomial function may have a maximum or minimum value, which can restrict the range of the expression.