1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of this function

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{1 - x}{\sqrt{5 + 7x - x^{2}}}[/tex]

I know that the range of that function is [tex](-\infty, 0) U (0, +\infty)[/tex]

But how do I get it? I'm having difficulties in isolating x. Can you explain it to me? Thank you. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't get that range- it's wrong. It is easy to see that
    [tex]f(1)= \frac{1- 1}{\sqrt{5+ 7- 1}}= \frac{0}{\sqrt{11}}= 0[/tex]
    so 0 certainly is in the range.

Since you have determined what x can be, what values of f do those values of x give?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Moreover, for sufficiently large |x|, the denominator is not real.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right. [itex]5+ 7x- x^2= 0[/itex] when [itex]x= (7\pm\sqrt{49+ 20})/2[/itex] so that the domain of the function is only from [itex](7- \sqrt{69})/2[/itex] to [itex]7+\sqrt{69})/2[/itex], or from between -1 and 0 to between 7 and 8. The function goes to infinity as x approaches the end points. The lower bound on the range will occur at the minimum of the function.

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Assuming we're talking about real functions then the domain is [itex](7-\sqrt{69})/2 < x < (7+\sqrt{69})/2[/tex] and the range is all real [itex]y[/tex].

Halls, note that the function goes to +infinity at the lower end of it's domain and to -infinity at the upper end of it's domain and in continuous in between.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook