Getting to Grips with Rank-2 Tensors

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, tensors can be represented by matrices, depending on what basis is chosen. They can be thought of as a more powerful form of vector, linear function, or point in space. There are two types of tensors, rank-2 and rank-1. Rank-1 tensors can act on either vectors or one-forms, while rank-2 tensors can only act on vectors. It can be difficult to tell the difference between rank-2 and rank-1 tensors without a basis, but they can be written in tensor notation with the symbol (2,0) or (0,2). Tensor vectors and tensor one-forms are represented by (1,1) and (x
Silviu
Hello! I am reading about tensors and I am a bit confused about rank-2 tensors. From what I understand they can be represented by a matrix. However I am not sure I understand the difference between (2,0), (0,2) and (1,1) tensors. I understand that they act on different objects (vectors or one forms or both) but having a matrix, how can u know what kind of tensor it is? Also, for example I saw definitions of electromagnetic field strength tensor written both as (2,0) and (0,2) tensor and I am not sure I understand the difference. What would be the 2 vectors it can act on and what would be the 2 one-forms it can act on, and how do we know when to use the right form?

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I am reading about tensors and I am a bit confused about rank-2 tensors. From what I understand they can be represented by a matrix.
Yes. This assumes, however, the choice of some basis, according to which the matrix entries are the coordinates.
However I am not sure I understand the difference between (2,0), (0,2) and (1,1) tensors.
It's the same as between ##f : U^* \times V^* \rightarrow \mathbb{F}\, , \,f : U \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{F}\, , \,f: U^* \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{F}##.
I understand that they act on different objects (vectors or one forms or both) ...
Yes.
... but having a matrix, ...
requires a basis of both ...
how can u know what kind of tensor it is?
You can't. How can you tell, whether ##(1,2)## is a vector, a linear function ##f : \mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,x \mapsto \langle (1,2),x\rangle## or simply a point in the Euclidean plane? Or a lattice point?
Also, for example I saw definitions of electromagnetic field strength tensor written both as (2,0) and (0,2) tensor and I am not sure I understand the difference.
As ##V^* \cong V## the difference is, whether ##(1,2) \in V## or ##(x \mapsto \langle (1,2),x \rangle) \in V^*##. Both are represented by ##(1,2)##.
What would be the 2 vectors it can act on and what would be the 2 one-forms it can act on, and how do we know when to use the right form?
It simply depends on what you want the matrix ##M## to represent. You have ##f(u,v)= u^tMv## and from which vector spaces ##u## and ##v## are, depends on what you want to do.

Silviu said:
Hello! I am reading about tensors and I am a bit confused about rank-2 tensors. From what I understand they can be represented by a matrix. However I am not sure I understand the difference between (2,0), (0,2) and (1,1) tensors. I understand that they act on different objects (vectors or one forms or both) but having a matrix, how can u know what kind of tensor it is? Also, for example I saw definitions of electromagnetic field strength tensor written both as (2,0) and (0,2) tensor and I am not sure I understand the difference. What would be the 2 vectors it can act on and what would be the 2 one-forms it can act on, and how do we know when to use the right form?

Matrix notion is simply not as powerful as tensor notation. It may be helpful, though, to regard tensor vectors as matrix column vectors, and tensor one-forms as matrix row vectors. Then the the product of a row and column vector yields a scalar, which is what a vector and a one form written in tensor notation do.

Then the typical matrix is a linear map from a column vector to a column vector. You can also regard it as a map from a row vector to a row vector, though this is less common.

Maps from vectors to one forms, and one-forms to vectors exist in tensor notation (the metric tensor is one example of this). But it doesn't really have a direct ananlogy in matrix form, though the metric tensor ##g_{\mu\nu}## is sometimes written to appear as a matrix.

1. What are rank-2 tensors?

Rank-2 tensors are mathematical objects that represent the relationships between two sets of vectors or scalars. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the physical properties of objects or systems.

2. How do rank-2 tensors differ from other types of tensors?

Rank-2 tensors are distinct from other types of tensors, such as rank-1 tensors (vectors) and rank-0 tensors (scalars), because they have two indices and can be represented by a two-dimensional matrix.

3. What are some real-world applications of rank-2 tensors?

Rank-2 tensors have a wide range of applications in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. They are used to describe stress and strain in materials, magnetic fields, and flow velocities in fluids, among other things.

4. How do you perform operations on rank-2 tensors?

To perform operations on rank-2 tensors, you can use matrix multiplication, which involves multiplying the components of the tensors according to specific rules. You can also use the Einstein summation convention to simplify calculations.

5. Are there any resources available to help understand rank-2 tensors better?

Yes, there are many resources available, including textbooks, online tutorials, and videos. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of linear algebra and vector calculus before delving into rank-2 tensors.