1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank(a) = min(k)

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    If A is a matrix in Mn(F), show that rank(A) = min(k: A = A1 + ... + Ak, rank(Ai) = 1, Ai in Mn(F) for every i between 1 and k.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a homework problem. Have you worked on it at all? What lines of attack have you come up with, and where'd you get stuck? What sort of theory might be applicable to the problem?

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Well I was thinking on the lines of rank-nullity theorem but I didn't see how that would apply here. I was also thinking of assuming each A_i was a matrix of entirely zero except for one row (or column), of which has only one entry of 1....e.g.

|0 0 0 0|
    |0 0 0 0|
    |1 0 0 0|
    |0 0 0 0|

Each A_i would have to be distinct. I tried an example using three 3x3 matrices and got:

A = A_1 + A_2 + A_3 = I =

|1 0 0|
    |0 0 0| +
    |0 0 0|

|0 0 0|
    |0 1 0| +
    |0 0 0|

|0 0 0|
    |0 0 0|
    |0 0 1|

All matrices have rank 1 (I believe) and the matrix A would thus have rank 3.

How to show that rank(A) = the smallest possible k is tripping me up though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook