1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rank A + rank B <= n if AB=0?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a)Let A and B be nxn matrices such that AB=0. Prove that rank A + rank B <=n.
    b)Prove that if A is a singular nxn matrix, then for every k satifying rank A<=k<=n there exists an nxn matrix B such that AB=0 and rank A + rank B = k.

2. Relevant equations

rank A + dim Nul A = n
    Not sure if it's even helpful here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am pretty much stuck right now, if someone could point in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciative.

For part (a) I realized that NOT both A and B are invertible, if one of them is invertible, then the other must be the zero matrix so the condition holds. So I was thinking of checking the condition when A and B are not invertible, which doesn't really give me much information to work with.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

rank(B)=dim(range(B)), right? If AB=0 then range(B) has to be contained in null(A), also right? rank A + dim Nul A = n is definitely useful.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Ah thank you, it's so simple when you put it like that. :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook