1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank ability of ligands to increase or decrease Δ in a square planar compound

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations

I am working on a formal lab report for an inorganic chem course and forget how to construct a spectrochemical series. I have 4 complexes, each has a single absorption band in the UV-Vis spectrum.

[NiBr(Mes)(PPh3)2] 450nm
    [Ni(Mes)Br(bipy)] 487nm
    [NiBr(Mes)(dppe)] 425nm
    [NiBr2(dppe)] 477nm

I am told to rank the ability of the ligands (Br-, dppe, bipy, PPh3, Mes-) to increase or decrease Δ in a square planar compound based only on the experimental data (given above).

3. The attempt at a solution

I have decided that the each of the above complexes is square planar in geometry, so they can be compared directly to one another in terms of d-d electronic transitions.

Comparing [NiBr(Mes)(bipy)] and [NiBr(Mes)(dppe)], which differ by only one ligand, it can be deduced that dppe will cause an increase in Δ relative to bipy. Similarly, [NiBr2(dppe)] and [NiBr(Mes)(dppe)] can be compared to show that Mes- will cause an increase in Δ relative to Br-.

I am now unsure if I am able to make any further comparisons. Concerning [NiBr(Mes)(PPh3)2] in particular, I do not recall if it is possible to compare this complex to any of the others, given the above data. At best, it differs from [Ni(Mes)Br(bipy)] by bipy and (PPh3)2, and a similar comparison can be made to [NiBr(Mes)(dppe)]. However this only allows the comparison of (PPh3)2 and not a single PPh3. I believe that the first PPh3 will have a significantly different influence on the complex compared to the second PPh3, and so the ligand cannot be ranked using this data.

I haven't had to do this for quite a while so I just wanted to make sure I remember how to do it correctly. I tried to reference it but had trouble finding information on ranking ligands relative to one another, and in particular when they differ buy 1L_1 and 2L_2 as I detailed above. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted