Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank and submatrices theorem

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Let A be a nonzero matrix of size n. Let a k*k submatrix of A be defined as a matrix obtained by deleting any n-k rows and n-k columns of A. Let m denote the largest integer such that some m*m submatrix has a nonzero determinant. Then rank(A) = k.

Conversely suppose that rank(A) = m. There exists a m*m submatrix has a nonzero determinant.

I'm currently trying to prove this theorem. Not quite sure if I should proceed by examining the solution space of A or rather just do something clever with the determinants. I feel like there's a property of determinants that I'm missing that'd make this much easier.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    If the determinant is non-zero, that implies that the columns are linearly independent. Remember, the determinant measures the (hyper-)volume of the parallelepiped spanned by the columns. Intuitively, a non-zero volume implies linear independence. I would use that.

So, you have a square submatrix whose columns are linearly independent. What does that tell you about the corresponding columns in the bigger matrix A?

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

some things to think about:

if you use row-reduction to find rank(A), how does each row-operation affect the determinant?

if you think of the determinant as a function of n n-vectors, instead of an nxn matrix, is it linear in each variable? how does this tie in to dim(row(A)) = dim(col(A))?

does re-arranging rows or columns of a matrix change its determinant?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook