Rank magnitudes of the electron's accerlation.

In summary, the equation E = \delta /(2Eo) does not work because the separation between the plates is not important. Just add the electric fields from both sheets.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm lost as usual. Because they are two sheets, infinite and nonconducting. I thought I would use this equation: E = [tex] \delta [/tex]/(2Eo). But they give the separation which i don't see how that fits into this equation. I figured I could find the accerlation using F = MA. But anyways, here is the question. An electron is rleleased between two infinite nonconducting sheets that are horiztonal and have uniform surface charge densities [tex] \delta[/tex](+) and [tex] \delta [/tex](-). The electron is subjected to the following three situations involving surface charge densities and sheet separations. Rank the magnitudes of the electron's acceleration, greatest first. The answer is they all tie. Here is a link to the image:
http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/4792/image8pt.jpg
Am I approaching this problem totally wrong? :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea. If you know what the electric field of one sheet looks like you'll see that separation is indeed not important. Just add the electric fields from both sheets. Mind the direction.

I think you can disregard the separation, as the plates are infinitely long.

okay somthing isn't right...
I used E = [tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo. So I plugged the numbers given and then added up each situation. Like so:

1. E = -4[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; E = +4[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; I added those and got 0.
2. E = -[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; E = +7[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; I added those and got 3[tex] \delta [/tex]/Eo;
3. E = -5[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; E = +3[tex] \delta [/tex]/2Eo; I added those and got -[tex] \delta [/tex]/Eo;

What did i do wrong exactly? :confused:

The positive charge does not cancel the negative charge; just the opposite, since they are on opposite sides of the space between the plates. (Remember the parallel plate capacitor? Is the field between the plates zero? No!)

Realize that both the positively charged plate and the negatively charged plate both contribute fields pointing down at any point in between the plates.

ohh that's interesting...why would you add them? I see you get the correct answer if you do. I know the E-field goes from + to -. But doens't the negative and + tell the direction or is it just showing the charge?

You add the fields because they point in the same direction.

Sure the charge shows you the direction of the field, if you know how to interpret the formula. The field from a plane of charge is [itex]E = \sigma / (2 \epsilon_0)[/itex]. When [itex]\sigma[/itex] is positive, the field points away from the plane; when negative, towards the plane.

It does not mean that the field from a positive charge is always "positive", whatever that would mean. If you use signs to indicate the direction of the field, the fields between the plates in this problem are all negative (assuming negative means "down").

ohh of course, once i drew the 2 plates and looked at the directions i realized what i did wrong, thanks for the explanation!

1. What is the acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron is a measure of its change in velocity over time. In other words, it is the rate at which an electron's speed or direction changes.

2. How is the acceleration of an electron calculated?

The acceleration of an electron can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electron acceleration?

The unit of measurement for electron acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does the magnitude of electron acceleration compare to other particles?

The magnitude of electron acceleration is typically much smaller compared to other particles, such as protons or ions. This is because electrons are much lighter than these particles, so they require less force to accelerate.

5. Can the acceleration of an electron be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an electron can be negative. This occurs when the electron is slowing down, either due to a force acting in the opposite direction of its motion or because it is losing energy.