1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank nullity inequality fom T^2

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T be a linear operator on a vector space V (finite dimensional). show that
    nullity(T^2)<= 2nullity(T)

2. Relevant equations
    the rank nullity theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i take T to be a lin. transf. from ker(T^2) to V, that is i am restricting the domain of T.

well, i show kerT is a subset of ker(T^2) then i write
    nullity(T^2)= nullity(T(Ker(T^2)) + dimT(ker(T^2))= dimkerT +dimT(ker(T^2))

and this last equality i am not sure of. then i show T(kerT^2) is a subset of kerT and the theorem follows from the equality which i am not sure of. the proff. said to use the fact that kerT is a subset of ker(T^2). but i don't see how this helps. i started by examining T(kerT^2) and said that oh... okay i get it now. since kerT is a subset of kerT^2 there could be some vectors ouside of the kerT in this latter set. but that still makes the kernel of T(kerT^2) equal to the kerT since it is the kernel of {0, T(v1), ... T(vn)}. is this correct, please respond i have wasted so much time on this damn thing.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?