1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rank/order of tensor

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1
    I am confused about the difference between the rank and order of a tensor.

On p 71 of Mathematical Physics 2nd Ed (Kusse and Westwig, 2006 Wiley-VCH), the rank of a tensor is described as identifying the number of basis vectors of the tensor but in some other books, this seems to be described as the order of a tensor.

Online, I saw both terms used as though they refer to different things, but I can't rely on that information because I saw it in Wikipedia. In Wikipedia, I also saw a statement that the dyadic product between vectors creates a tensor of rank one, but that is not what I read in the book mentioned above.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The phrase "rank of a tensor" generally just refers to how many and what type of indices it has. "rank of a matrix" usually means the dimension of it's range. They are two completely different usages of the word "rank". The second meaning is what the wikipedia entry is referring to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook