Finding My Calculation Error: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the incorrect answer was the ranking of ∫Bds. The correct answer is the ranking of 1, 2, 3, or 4.
hidemi
Homework Statement
The diagram shows one plate of a parallel-plate capacitor from whin the capacitor. The plate is circular and has radius R. The dashed circles are four integration paths and radii of r1=R/4, r2=R/2, r3=3R/2, and r4=2R. Rank the paths according to the magnitude of ∫B.ds
around the paths during the discharging of the capacitor, least to greatest.

A) 1, 2 and 3 tie, then 4
B) 1,2,3,4
C) 1, then 2 and 4 tie, then 3
D) 4,3,1,2

the answer is C

E) all tie
Relevant Equations
B = μ0*I / 2πr
My calculation is as attached. Where am I wrong?

Attachments

• 1614869296931.png
    1614869296931.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your results for B. So, it looks like (C) would be the correct answer if the question asked for the ranking of B on each path, rather than asking for the ranking of ∫Bds. None of the answers appear to be correct for the ranking of ∫Bds.

[Edit: For the ranking of ∫Bds, you can argue that one of the answers is correct if you take into account the fringing of the E field of the capacitor.]

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and hidemi
hidemi said:
... Rank the paths according to the magnitude of ∫B.ds
My calculation is as attached. Where am I wrong?
From your working it looks like you have tried to rank the different values of B. But the question specifically says “Rank ... according to the magnitude of ∫B.ds”. You answered the wrong question!

The question is about displacement current. So ideally you shouldn’t use ##I##. Use (for example) ##I_D##.

(Explanatory note follows, if needed:

Inside of the capacitor is a dielectric (vacuum, or air, or some other insulator). This mean no physical current (moving charge) actually crosses the gap between the plates.

The changing electric flux inside the capacitor generates a magnetic field. ##I_D## is a ‘fictitious’ current which would create the same magnetic field as the changing electric flux. So, when finding the magnetic field, we can ‘pretend’ ##I_D## is actually flowing between the plates like a real current.)

Since the electric field is uniform, ##I_D##’s distribution is the same as a uniform current through a cylindrical conductor radius R. The current, ##I_r##, through an ‘inner cylinder’ (r≤R) is ##I_D \frac {r^2}{R^2}## because it is proportional to cross-sectional area.

The current, ##I_r##, through an ‘outer cylinder’ (r>R) is , ##I_r=I_D##, because it is the total current.

Ampere’s law tell us ##\int B.ds = \mu_0 I_r##. So we are simply being asked to rank the values of ##\mu_0 I_r## for different value of r.

Once that’s fully understood, no calculations at all are needed to answer the question! What do you think the answer should be?

Unfortunately (as already noted by @TSny) the correct answer is not on the answer-list.

Likes TSny, Delta2 and hidemi
Thank you so much.

TSny said:
I agree with your results for B. So, it looks like (C) would be the correct answer if the question asked for the ranking of B on each path, rather than asking for the ranking of ∫Bds. None of the answers appear to be correct for the ranking of ∫Bds.

[Edit: For the ranking of ∫Bds, you can argue that one of the answers is correct if you take into account the fringing of the E field of the capacitor.]
Thank so much.

The correct answer for the ranking of the magnitude (absolute value) of ##\int \mathbf{B}\cdot d\mathbf{s}## (and not for the ranking of B as your work is) is 1<2<3=4.

Likes hidemi
Delta2 said:
The correct answer for the ranking of the magnitude (absolute value) of ##\int \mathbf{B}\cdot d\mathbf{s}## (and not for the ranking of B as your work is) is 1<2<3=4.
Yes I agree with you, thanks for commenting!

Likes Delta2

1. What is the importance of finding calculation errors?

Finding calculation errors is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of your data and results. It allows you to correct any mistakes and prevent them from affecting your overall conclusions.

2. How do I know if I have made a calculation error?

You can check for calculation errors by double-checking your work, using different methods to solve the problem, and comparing your results with known values or previous calculations. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your work for any potential errors.

3. What are some common causes of calculation errors?

Some common causes of calculation errors include simple mistakes such as misreading numbers or using the wrong formula, using incorrect units, and not following the correct order of operations. Other factors such as fatigue, distractions, and lack of understanding of the concept can also contribute to calculation errors.

4. How can I prevent calculation errors in the future?

To prevent calculation errors, it is important to double-check your work, use reliable sources and references, and take breaks to avoid fatigue. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the concept and to practice problem-solving regularly.

5. What should I do if I cannot find my calculation error?

If you cannot find your calculation error, it is best to seek help from a colleague, mentor, or teacher. They can provide a fresh perspective and help identify any mistakes. It is also important to not get discouraged and to continue practicing and learning from your mistakes.