Design Rankine Cycle: $40K Budget, Calculate Payback Time

In summary, the project is to design a rankine cycle to produce electricity from a lake using temperature differences between the water and the atmosphere. The constraints are a budget of $40,000, defined efficiency for the pump and turbine, and given thermal resistance for the heat exchanger. The goal is to calculate the payback time assuming electricity can be sold at $0.03/kWh and to produce maximum power output. Suggestions for starting the calculations and determining the cost of building the machine are needed. The equations for the different parts of the cycle have been provided, but efficiency must be taken into account. A thermophysical properties database or tables must be used to determine data for the working fluid. The cycle can be broken down into four parts
emilynb

Homework Statement

I have a project for a class of mine that asks me to design a rankine cycle to produce electricity from a lake using temperature differences between the water and the atmosphere.

I have a budget that I must stick with ($40,000), a defined effeciency for the pump (50%) and turbine (80%), obviously I am restrained by the temperatures of the water and air at the lake I use, and I am also given the thermal resistance for the water and air side of the heat exchanger (0.01 m2K/W for the water side and 0.05 m2K/W for the air side). Then I must calculate the payback time assuming that I can sell the electricity at $0.03/kWh. My goal is to produce max power output.

Any suggestions on where/how/what numbers to start with the calculations would be greatly appreciated. Also, where would be a good place to look to determine approximately how much it would cost to build such a machine?

Homework Equations

Pump (1-2) - isentropic compression: -win = v(P2 - P1)

Boiler (2-3) - constant pressure heat addition: qin = h3 - h2

Turbine (3-4) - Isentropic Expansion: wout = h3 - h4

Condenser (4-1) - constant pressure heat rejection: qout = h4 - h1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the machine set up, but I am having troubles figuring out how to get started with my calculations in order to make the machine be reasonable/justifiable and workable. So far, what I have is pumping water up from a lake, using it to boil the working fluid in a boiler, expanding it through a turbine which will power the generator to produce electricity, then going back through a condenser and starting all over again. For the working fluid, I am considering using organic fluids - propane, ammonia, R-123, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know this is going to help much because the problem is very loosely defined. Do you have much time to work on this project?

If I were doing this, I'd want to use a thermophysical properties database for the working fluid. NIST REFPROP works great, and probably has all the fluids you might want to use. Check it out here: http://www.nist.gov/srd/nist23.htm

You might ask your prof to see if there's a copy you can use. Many of the colleges have them.

If you can't use this kind of database, you'll certainly need to find tables. Look in your library for data on the thermophysical properties of the fluids you're interested in using.

Break the system down into 4 parts as you show. Work in, Work out, Heat in, Heat out.

Do you know how to determine these, including the efficiency factors? I see you've written the equations, but those for the pump and turbine don't include efficiency. Do you know how to do that?

Set up a spreadsheet, computer program, or just a chart with enthalpy at the various points. You need to be able to calculate the change in enthalpy due to heat or work added/removed. You also need to determine the two pressures you'd like to work between. That pretty much sets up the entire cycle. You also need the ambient temperatures though (water and air) to determine if it's reasonable to gain/reject heat at the various points in the cycle.

Regarding the thermal resistance, that just forces the size (surface area) of your heat exchangers. Determine that after you've got the basic cycle down. Neglect to start.

Regarding cost, I'm surprised they'd ask that, but they often do. The right way to do it is do a cost estimate. Spec equipment, get quotes, determine costs for labor, non-recurring engineering, etc... not easy. When I did these in school, I made a lot of those costs up because you really can't be expected to obtain good costs as a student.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first suggest researching and gathering more information on Rankine cycles and their applications in power generation. This will help you better understand the principles and calculations involved in designing such a system.

Next, I would recommend using a software program or spreadsheet to simulate and analyze different scenarios and variations of the Rankine cycle, based on the given constraints and parameters. This will allow you to optimize the design and determine the most efficient and cost-effective solution within your budget.

In terms of cost, you can research and compare the prices of different components such as pumps, turbines, heat exchangers, and working fluids, to get an estimate of the total cost of building the machine. It may also be helpful to consult with experts or companies that specialize in designing and building Rankine cycle systems.

Finally, to calculate the payback time, you will need to consider not only the initial cost of building the machine, but also the ongoing operational and maintenance costs, and the expected revenue from selling the electricity. This will require some economic analysis and may involve making assumptions about the lifespan of the machine and the electricity market.

Overall, designing a Rankine cycle within a specific budget can be a challenging but rewarding task. By thoroughly researching and utilizing the appropriate tools and resources, you can develop a well-informed and feasible design that meets your goals and requirements.

What is a Rankine cycle and how does it work?

A Rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in steam power plants to generate electricity. It works by using a heat source, typically a boiler, to convert water into steam. The steam then drives a turbine, which is connected to a generator to produce electricity. The steam is then condensed back into liquid form, and the cycle repeats.

How does the budget of $40K affect the design of the Rankine cycle?

The budget of $40K will greatly impact the design of the Rankine cycle. It will limit the types of materials and equipment that can be used, as well as the size and efficiency of the system. It may also affect the overall power output and reliability of the cycle.

What factors should be considered when calculating the payback time for a Rankine cycle?

When calculating the payback time for a Rankine cycle, factors such as the initial cost of the system, maintenance and operating costs, and the cost of fuel or energy source should be taken into account. Additionally, the expected lifespan of the system and any potential government incentives or tax breaks should also be considered.

How can the payback time be shortened for a Rankine cycle with a $40K budget?

To shorten the payback time for a Rankine cycle with a $40K budget, cost-saving measures such as using more affordable materials, optimizing the design for efficiency, and finding a cheaper source of fuel or energy can be considered. Additionally, implementing a regular maintenance schedule and exploring potential government incentives or subsidies can also help reduce the payback time.

What are some potential limitations or challenges to consider when designing a Rankine cycle with a $40K budget?

Some potential limitations or challenges to consider when designing a Rankine cycle with a $40K budget include the limited availability of materials and equipment, potential trade-offs in efficiency and power output, and the need for careful budget management throughout the design and construction process. Additionally, any unexpected maintenance or repair costs may also affect the overall budget and payback time.