Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ranking football Statistics

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I am trying to rank football coaches and I'm a little confused on how to choose the weights to put in each variable. So far the variables I have decided to use are: total career wins, total winning percentage, current season winning percentage, current season total point, number of years as head coach, national and regional championships won, and maybe salary. I have all the data but now I'm confused on how to calculate the rankings. How do I choose the wights I put into each variable (importance) and then create a formula?

This is not homework! It's individual research I'm doing for a club.

Any help appreciated :)

P.S: I do not know much about football so if you can think of any other stats that it's important please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If you search the forum posts, you can find several threads on the theme of "How should I rank..." this and that (and in most them, the person asking the question doesn't know what he's trying to accomplish by ranking things.)

There is no mathematical answer to problems that have no defined goal. You have to know what the ranking is supposed to accomplish. What kind of decisions will be based on the ranking? If I showed you the results of two different ranking methods, how would you decide which result was best?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

I have the same view. Ranking systems like this are usually just expressions of the ranker's prejudices. So whatever you do is likely to be no better or worse than anyone else's rankings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook