Ranking Kinetic Energy: Why Does Mass Matter More Than Amplitude?

If you have calculated the potential energy correctly in both cases you will see that the potential energy is the same. In case 2 you have released the body from the same height as in case 1 but with twice the mass. What can you say about the velocity in case 2 compared to case 1?The velocity in case 2 as compared to case 1 is half the velocity. But the kinetic energy in case 2 is 4 times the kinetic energy of case 1. In summary, when ranking the cases from maximum kinetic energy to lowest kinetic energy, we can see that case 3 has the highest kinetic energy, followed by case 2, and then case 1. This is because the potential energy of
Huski

Homework Statement

Rank the cases from maximum Kinetic Energy (KE) to lowest KE. State any ties. Briefly, explain your ranking.

Case 1 has mass M and amplitude A
Case 2 has mass 2M and amplitude A
Case 3 has mass M and amplitude 2A

Homework Equations

1. [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}[/itex]
2. [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]

k = spring constant (N/m) Newton/meter
A = amplitude (m) meter
v = max velocity (m/s) meters/second

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer and it's 3 > (1 = 2)
Now, I've been trying to understand why? Equation 1 includes amplitude and equation 2 includes mass. All 3 cases include mass and amplitude. In equation 1, as amplitude increases, kinetic energy increases. In equation 2, as mass increases (by slower margins because of the half in front), kinetic energy increases. I don't get why case 1 = case 2? They both have the same amplitude, but case 2 has more mass than case 1. I think case 2 should have more kinetic energy than case one. Here's why, if I look at an example below.

let's say mass equals 4. (note: I'm ignoring velocity)

Case 1: E = 0.5(4) = 2 Joules.
Case 2: E = 0.5(2*4) = 4 Joules.

So mass is relevant when ranking the kinetic energy. Can someone shed light on something I may be missing? Thank you.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
In all three cases you have the potential energy of the spring i.e. ##E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}## that converts to kinetic energy of the mass i.e. ##E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}## Now, does applying a different mass change the potential energy of the spring? Consider this for the tie between cases 1 and 2. For case 3 does the mass get higher energy from the spring or not?

Last edited:
Likes Huski
QuantumQuest said:
Now, does applying a different mass change the potential energy of the spring?

I would say for the first part, that mass doesn't change potential energy because PE depends on spring constant (k) + amplitude (A). Okay, so I first look at PE, then I see if the mass is there and if not (and it's obviously not), then when converting from PE to KE (because the spring begins moving) it doesn't' change the KE? Am I understanding this correctly?

QuantumQuest said:
For case 3 does the mass get higher energy from the spring or not?

For case 3, I would say that the spring constant doesn't increase the energy of the mass. It does in case 2, the spring would need more k value (force) to push more mass (2M). Not for case 3, I believe.

Huski said:
Am I understanding this correctly?

The potential energy of the spring between cases 1 and 2 is the same. What has changed in case 2 is the mass of the body. So, when you release the body in this case what does this mean for the velocity of the body taking into account that mass has doubled?

Huski said:
For case 3, I would say that the spring constant doesn't increase the energy of the mass. It does in case 2, the spring would need more k value (force) to push more mass (2M). Not for case 3, I believe.

In case 3 the amplitude is ##2A## as shown in the diagram. So, use the equation for the potential energy of the spring. Is the amount of higher energy transferred to the body higher or not?

Last edited:
Likes Huski
QuantumQuest said:
what does this mean for the velocity of the body taking into account that mass has doubled?

So, I think that if KE stays the same, mass doubles, then velocity is half. I think this because I look at this equation below.

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]

If I substitute 2 into the equation:

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2m)(v)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]2 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex] Now I need to get 2 KE back to 1 KE, so I manipulate V

[itex]2 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)(\dfrac{1}{2}v)^{2}[/itex] then i multiply by reciprocal or divide by 1/2 to and get:

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]

So if I double mass, I take half velocity.

QuantumQuest said:
Is the amount of higher transferred to the body higher or not?

Okay, so for higher energy transfer, doubling A (2A) will quadruple PE I believe. Then K needs to go up Edit: (if I wanted to keep energy the same). So energy is higher.

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}[/itex]

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}k(2A)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]4 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}[/itex]

[itex]4 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}(8k)A^{2}[/itex]

[itex]4 \cdot E=(4k)A^{2}[/itex]

[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}[/itex]

Huski said:
If I substitute 2 into the equation:
##E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2m)(v)^{2}##
##2 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}##

Be careful with the math in the last equation in quote.

Huski said:
Okay, so for higher energy transfer, doubling A (2A) will quadruple PE I believe. Then K needs to go up Edit: (if I wanted to keep energy the same). So energy is higher.
##E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}##
##E=\dfrac{1}{2}k(2A)^{2}##
##4 \cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}kA^{2}##
Be careful with the math in the last equation in quote.
I had a typo in my post #4

QuantumQuest said:
Is the amount of higher energy transferred to the body higher or not?
(I have struck through the wrong one).

Now, what do you mean by

Huski said:
Then K needs to go up
##k## is a constant of the spring. So, what changes the potential energy is amplitude ##A##.

Last edited:
Likes Huski
I was just saying that k goes up if I wanted to cancel out the 4 on the left side of the equation. But because we don't care about that (because as you said k is constant) I made the "Edit" in there to explain why I said that.
So when you asked about mass doubling, velocity is half? And the amount of energy transferred is higher because of the amplitude (as you said).
So to clear things up, case 1 = case 2 because when converting from PE to KE, mass is irrelevant because what causes the energy to increase is the amplitude. More potential energy means more kinetic energy?

Huski said:
I was just saying that k goes up if I wanted to cancel out the 4 on the left side of the equation. But because we don't care about that (because as you said k is constant) I made the "Edit" in there to explain why I said that.
So when you asked about mass doubling, velocity is half?

I would suggest to do the math correctly for the two cases I talked about in my post #6. This is crucial in order to see how things work.

Huski said:
And the amount of energy transferred is higher because of the amplitude (as you said).

Yes

Huski said:
So to clear things up, case 1 = case 2 because when converting from PE to KE, mass is irrelevant because what causes the energy to increase is the amplitude. More potential energy means more kinetic energy?

For both cases 1 and 2, the amount of energy transferred from spring to body is the same. So, what changes is the mass of the body (doubles) and the velocity of the body decreases such that the ##E## in ##E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}## stays the same. Just do the math to see what is the final expression. Now, more potential energy from spring means that more energy will be transferred to the body so if you release it, it will have more kinetic energy.

Likes Huski
So you said that I did the last part of the equation wrong : [itex]2\cdot E=\dfrac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex].

is this correct?[itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2m)v^2[/itex] 1/2 cancels out 2

[itex]E=mv^2[/itex]

Huski said:
is this correct?##E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2m)v^2## 1/2 cancels out 2

##E=mv^2##
Yes, that's correct. Also take care of ##v##. This is not the same in case 2 compared to case 1.

Likes Huski
Okay so,

case 2: [itex]E=mv^2[/itex]

case 1: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)v^2[/itex]

Huski said:
if KE stays the same, mass doubles, then velocity is half
Not quite right. Take another look at the equation.

Likes Huski
Huski said:
Okay so,

case 1: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)v^2[/itex]
As quantumquest wrote, distinguish the velocities. They are not the same.

Likes QuantumQuest and Huski
haruspex said:
Not quite right. Take another look at the equation.

So if KE stays the same, mass doubles, then velocity stays the same?

I think this might be it:

case 1: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)(2v)^2[/itex]

Huski said:
So if KE stays the same, mass doubles, then velocity stays the same?
No, not that either.
The equation is E=½mv2. If you double the mass with the same KE then clearly v must change, but by how much? Look at what happens if we try halving v:
½(2m)(v/2)2=?

Likes Huski
Well, I think that if you double the velocity, you increase the KE by a factor of 4. So I think you need velocity to change by 1/4?
case 1: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)\dfrac{1}{4}v^2[/itex]

Huski said:
I think this might be it:

case 2: ##E=mv^2##

case 1: ##E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)(2v)^2##

Also, in addition to what haruspex said, it may be of help to give a different name for the velocity in case 2 e.g. ##v_1
##. Then you'll have just to equate the kinetic energies of case 1 and 2 i.e ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## and ##\frac{1}{2}(2m)v_1^2## and do the math.

Last edited:
Likes Huski
Huski said:
Well, I think that if you double the velocity, you increase the KE by a factor of 4. So I think you need velocity to change by 1/4?
case 1: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(m)\dfrac{1}{4}v^2[/itex]
Please, no more wild guesses. Follow Qq's advice in post #17 and use algebra to find the answer.

Likes Huski
This is what I came up with: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2\cdot m)(0.707\cdot v_{1})^2[/itex]

Huski said:
This is what I came up with: [itex]E=\dfrac{1}{2}(2\cdot m)(0.707\cdot v_{1})^2[/itex]
Right, the speed is reduced by a factor √2.

Likes Huski
So we found the scale factors for the variables, but the kinetic energy omits the mass and we care for the amplitude?

Huski said:
the kinetic energy omits the mass
No, the KE involves mass and velocity, but the problem is that changing the mass while keeping k constant changed the velocity, so we cannot use the usual KE equation to find the energy.
Instead, we use the fact that the total energy is constant in SHM. This means that that the peak KE (i.e. at force equilibrium) is the same as peak PE (i.e. when speed is zero). So we can use the PE equation to find the peak KE.

Likes Huski
This makes sense. thank you, guys!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's speed. This means that as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. How does kinetic energy affect an object's motion?

Kinetic energy is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another during collisions or interactions. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy.

5. How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, such as transportation, sports, and electricity generation. It is also essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects.