Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rant: notebook carying cases

1. Nov 11, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[rant]why WHY why! is it impossible to find an acceptable carying case/ sleeve/ backback to carry a notebook around in?? A notebook is supposed to be portable right??[/rant]

I have been looking for weeks, looked in every single store in my city.. not a single one worth considering.. been all through the internet.. (until the bitter end: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm).. waaay too expensive.. and the ones I like I can't order..

[b(] headache..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a 'slight' problem with Amazon, they don't ship to The Netherlands anymore for some reason, they call that a 'slight' problem [?] [?]

A Dutch shady supplier:
    cost of sleave: € 14,62
    shipping cost € 14,00 [?]
    taxes: € 5,44

Total: € 34,06

Magically the price doubles!? €34 for a simple sleave..

4. Nov 11, 2003 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

5. Nov 11, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm.. an option..

but what will he do if someone comes along and steals his clearly visible wallet out of his back pocket? Blast them with an ultrasonic boom, so that they fall down on the floor, screaming, with their hands on their ears??

6. Nov 11, 2003 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Monique, what is your budget.?

The average price is about $40-50 USD for a decent laptop case.

Most laptop cases that can be purchased online are going to force you pay an additional $40 USD or 34 Euro just to get it shipped to Europe. Your best bet is to find some local place and purchase it from there.

Maybe its time to learn how to sew your own bags.

7. Nov 11, 2003 #6
  8. Nov 11, 2003 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Great suggestion BoulderHead. Ebay is a great place to get stuff for cheap.

Monique, if you use Ebay you should contact the seller about the shipping rate before you place a bid.

9. Nov 12, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No way! Shipping is usually very cheap to Europe! Maybe 6 USD.

The problem with those bags is that they are buttt ugly! Maybe good for a CEO, who has to go to a bussiness meeting.. not for me.

There are two I really like, one is a bagpack (which can also be carried as a shoulder strap) from Kensington: a SaddleBag.

The other is a sleave from CaseLogic NCLE2, but I just cannot seem get to one..

I am going to write an email to all the computer stores in the area if they can buy some from the supplier and sell one to me..

What I COULD do.. stuff two pillows into a bagpack and put the notebook inbetween.. that should work.. ?

10. Nov 12, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*nervous breakdown*

sleave: €10.67
    tax: €4.40
    shipping: €12.50 (within NL)

WHY!

whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy?

I found another site, but they require a minimum purchase of €50 and ebay didn't have anything.. tomorrow the stores will be open after 6.. I will go and complain to all the computer stores and put on some extra mascara for some good eye-blinking :wink:

11. Nov 12, 2003 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a real dutch person should: I've send my bid for the price of the article to the supplier

Now wait and see if they will start laughing really hard, or whether they will come over the bridge

It must be because of the recession that the prices are so steep..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?