Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ranting about parents

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    How would you feel if you're 21 and your parents still treat you like you're their 5 year old baby?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I guess I'd feel loved.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    I could do without the cheek pinches

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

For some parents, you're grownup when you're 18 or 21 so they can kick you out into world and recover their lost youth.

For other parents, you're grownup when you get married.

And for those very few special parents, you're always their baby no matter what pinches ear pulls and all.

6. Jan 13, 2017 #5
    I think that when my kids are able to feel free of any real or imagined restraint from me treating them as my kids I will recognise that and be able to more easily treat them as my grown up kids. My 22 yo is kinda getting there and my 18 yo is trying. Hasn't quite figured out she doesn't need to distance herself to do that.

7. Jan 14, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It would depend on if I were living on my own or not.

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Mine had a lot of wisdom, in hindsight .
    Mom always said "The Terrible Two's last to around 35."

Print this thread and stash it someplace you might stumble across it in twenty years .

9. Jan 14, 2017 #8
    I would love it!

10. Jan 14, 2017 #9
    Considering how much of a brat I was and the poor choices i made as a teenager, I would just be thankful that they still love me.

11. Jan 14, 2017 #10

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hmmm...
    • I would get to have naps in the middle of the afternoon
    • I could watch cartoons on Saturday mornings
    • Mom would make me breakfast, lunch, and supper
    • I wouldn't have to clean the house - except for maybe for keeping my room tidy
    • I wouldn't have to follow a schedule
    • Zero stress
    What's not to love?

12. Jan 15, 2017 #11
    Not fair. I'm 19 and need permission for everything. I spend every day waiting to be told what I'm allowed to do.Including doing maths and physics. I am forbidden about talking about star wars.

13. Jan 15, 2017 #12
    Well, treating me like I'm still a little child makes me lose my manhood. I begin to think I'm inadequate to live independently. I can live independently, though.

14. Jan 15, 2017 #13

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Okay, I know my initial response was a little tongue-in-cheek, but this really begs the question. If you're having troubles with your parents respecting your independence, and can live independently - why aren't you doing it?

15. Jan 15, 2017 #14

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That sounds horrible. Why do you suppose that is?

16. Jan 15, 2017 #15

Drakkith

What exactly do they do to you that makes you feel inadequate?

That's sounds pretty unfortunate. :sorry: Do your parents have something against star wars?

17. Jan 15, 2017 #16

russ_watters

Yeah, I also didn't like the way I felt when I was an adult, living with my parents. Fortunately, there was an easy solution.

18. Jan 15, 2017 #17
    Manhood is not given or taken by others. It is something you give to yourself.

19. Jan 16, 2017 #18

Mark44

If you're still living under your parents' roof, which seems to be the case, they're the ones who make the rules, whether or not you're 21. There's a big difference between "can live independently" and "are living independently."

20. Jan 16, 2017 #19
    Too geeky.

21. Jan 16, 2017 #20
    Overprotective. The best parents you have though, they seem to be relaxing now. After I said when I finish my chemo I'm moving out mum's coming up with reasons I shouldn't. Including stuff like we'll get a dog! And occasionally "do what you want" which has happen only a few times in recorded history.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted