Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rat poison in the pet food

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/23/pet.food.recall.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like it might be a disgruntled employee getting revenge on the company.

4. Mar 23, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for posting that, Ivan.

5. Mar 23, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You bet.

We have bought some Priorety brand for little buddy a few times, and the other cats probably ate some, so we've been watching our cats very closely. They all seem to be okay.

6. Mar 23, 2007 #5
    Its a small world

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/03/abc_news_rat_po.html

Kinda makes me wonder where else that wheat ended up.

I don't think people will be get any satisfaction by filing law suits. I could be wrong but as far as I know pets are considered to be property. People could only recover the cost of the pet.::mad:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  7. Mar 23, 2007 #6
    It was Cornell, not the Department of Agriculture that discoverd the toxin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/23/us/23cnd-petfood.html?hp

I am also thinking that the pet food industry is unregulated.

Edit: It is unregulated. This article from 2003 doesn't paint a rosy picture of the pet food industry.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/petfood2.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  8. Mar 23, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Mar 23, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks...that answered the question I had after reading the article Ivan posted, which was whether the wheat gluten was from a domestic or imported source if the poison is not supposed to be used in the U.S.

Yes, I'm also wondering this. Did they only use it for animal foods, or did it also make it into the human supply chain? Wheat gluten is such a commonly used product that I'd suspect they don't only sell it for pet foods.

At least now they've traced the source and the contaminant, so that will make it easier to trace where else it has been distributed and guarantee that everything that might be contaminated is pulled from the supply chain.

They can also potentially recover the cost of any veterinary care required as a result of eating the contaminated food. Monetary settlements only help pay the bills acquired, but never make up for the emotional loss. I don't know how international law works, and if Menu Foods can do anything to sue the supplier for all their business losses and the damage to the brand's reputation, but I hope they can. And maybe they'll learn to stick to domestic sources for food products, or at least not use foreign sources when they don't have to follow the same safety requirements we do domestically! :grumpy:

10. Mar 23, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 23, 2007 #10
    Well it appears they are not doing a good job.

And what about the US customs, are they doing any testing on food imports from china? They are half paranoid when a traveler brings a thing like an apple into the US from China, but it seems that rat poison in food is not tested.

And animal testing ought to be exposed, people at least should know what scientists are doing to animals in the name of science.

12. Mar 23, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

No, they shouldn't know what happens to animals, since they would only get frustrated because there is nothing to do about it.

13. Mar 23, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not? They have recalled all the food in question and found the source and the reason for the problem. They have done just as good of a job for pets as they have for all the other human foods recalled this year and late last year. In fact, it seems a better job has been done, because only about a week after the recall, we have an answer, unlike the months it took for anyone to find out why people were getting sick from spinach.

I can't speak for what Customs is doing.

Yes, but do they know enough about the science to even understand what they are being told? Do you want to know what animal testing at a pet food company consists of? It consists of feeding the animals. If you want the real story, ask us scientists, because we will gladly explain because we have nothing to hide. If you want lies and fear, ask the sort of people who create the site that was originally linked, because that's what it provides.

14. Mar 23, 2007 #13

Evo

Moonbear, you can probably shed some light on this.

"ABC News first reported that the rodenticide may have been present in the wheat that was imported from China and used by Menu Foods, according to a source close to the investigation.

Some Vets Remain Skeptical

Some veterinary experts say they are still skeptical as to whether the chemical is responsible for the kidney damage the pets endured.

"With the information that we have, none of us feel that this product fits the lesions we are seeing, but there may be information we don't know yet," said Lawrence McGill, a veterinary pathologist in Salt Lake City. "The feeling is that there are more questions than answers with this product."

"Renal failure is not the expected response to these drugs," said Susan Weinstein, executive director of the Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association. She added that most rodent poisons work as severe anticoagulants — meaning they cause the rats that ingest them to bleed to death.

"Whether this particular toxin in this case can create renal failure depends on how this drug works in the body, which may be an entirely different pathway than the anticoagulants," Weinstein said. "Because we aren't yet familiar with this toxin, we can't be confident of the causation link."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912

15. Mar 23, 2007 #14
    So you are advocating censorship?

So what are you saying that the are no scientists who perform tests that harm animals?

16. Mar 23, 2007 #15
    My best friend found her cat laying on its back, with its tongue hanging out. She didn't want the kids to see it, so she got a black plastic bag, and started putting the cat in it.
    She said the cat started hissing and biteing her. This also alarmed her! So she put it in the cat carrier and dashed off to the vet. She told the vet all that had happened, and asked if it was a sign of renal failure.
    The vet said....no, it was a sign of putting a sleeping cat into a black plastic bag.:rofl:

17. Mar 23, 2007 #16
    I can't seem to find any links that outright recommend the safety of the pet food industry. Canada seems to be totally unregulated.

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html

This tends to indicate self regulation more than anything. This is not unusual with Federal and state agencies. The EPA allows voluntary "self reporting" of toxic levels of beryllium at a local Tucson facility.

18. Mar 23, 2007 #17

Evo

:rofl: :rofl: Glad the kitty was ok.

19. Mar 23, 2007 #18
    Not saying the experiments are ok, but the public - any public- is an idiot.

20. Mar 23, 2007 #19

radou

Homework Helper

In a way. But the thing I'm really advocating is the fact that I don't give a damn about it. Call me ignorant, but at least I'm sincere. :smile:

21. Mar 23, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That one gets added to my store of favorite quotes and stories. That's funny!!! And if I were her husband, I would be sleeping with one eye open. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?