Rate at which energy is dissipated

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the dissipation of energy in light bulbs connected to a 120V/60Hz power line, with ratings of 40W, 60W, and 100W. The individual is seeking help in understanding the concepts of parallel and series resistances and how to solve for them.
Xaspire88
Light bulbs labeled 40W, 60W, and 100W are connected to a 120V/60Hz power line as shown in the figure. What is the rate at which energy is dissipated in each bulb?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9584/p41qz1.png

Well ac circuits has been confusing me. I first though if a light bulb was rated for 40W it would dissipated 40J/s but this isn't the case here. I tried to solve for the current going to each but i got stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:Please help me out. Thank you.

What do you know about parallel and series resistances? Can you state those formulas and show an attempt to solve them?

What is the definition of the rate at which energy is dissipated?

The rate at which energy is dissipated refers to the amount of energy that is transformed or lost per unit of time. It is also known as power dissipation and is measured in watts (W).

What factors affect the rate at which energy is dissipated?

The factors that affect the rate at which energy is dissipated include the magnitude of the energy source, the resistance of the material, and the duration of time over which the energy is dissipated.

How is the rate at which energy is dissipated calculated?

The rate at which energy is dissipated can be calculated by dividing the amount of energy dissipated by the time it takes for the dissipation to occur. This can be represented by the formula P = E/t, where P is power, E is energy, and t is time.

Why is it important to understand the rate at which energy is dissipated?

Understanding the rate at which energy is dissipated is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and environmental science. It helps us understand the efficiency of energy usage and how different materials and systems handle and dissipate energy.

How can the rate at which energy is dissipated be controlled or reduced?

The rate at which energy is dissipated can be controlled or reduced by using materials with higher resistance, reducing the magnitude of the energy source, or increasing the duration of time over which the energy is dissipated. In some cases, energy can also be stored or redirected to prevent dissipation.