1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate Constant Graph

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A student is examining the kinetics of two reactions, A → products and B → products. The concentrations of A and B were measured as a function of time (in separate experiments) and the following plot was made:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9215/ratel.jpg [Broken]

The relationship between the rate constants is:
    a) kA > kB
    b) kA < kB
    c) kA = kB
    d) Insufficient information to know

The attempt at a solution

I think the right answer is d), since you don't know what the reaction orders are for the two lines. Therefore, you can't compare the rate constants. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    Hello!
    I think the reaction orders are the same, as both the 'curves' are straight (that sentence is peculiar!). If either were dependent on the concentrations, then the rate of change wouldn't be constsant (and the slope wouldn't be linear), as it would be dependent on the concentration at that particular point in time; and as the concentration of reactants decreases, the rate at which the reactants form products would decrease with time. I think!
    Hope that helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook