Rate Law Problem 1 Help: Finding OCI- Concentration Effect

• Thread starter cvc121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction and how to determine the rate law for the reaction. The question asks for guidance on how to deal with the hydroxide ion, which is written above the reaction arrow and may be a necessary intermediate. The conversation also mentions using trial data to determine the reaction order with respect to different reactants and calculating the rate law. Ultimately, it is determined that the rate law for the reaction is rate = k [I-][OCI-] / [OH-].
cvc121
1. Homework Statement

Due to formatting problems, I have attached the question below.

The attempt at the solution:
I am not sure how to deal with the hydroxide ion since it is written above the arrow. I believe that this signifies a species not included in the overall reaction but is necessary for the reaction to proceed? An intermediate maybe? Therefore, should the hydroxide ion be in the rate law?

Using trials 1 and 2 where the concentration of OCI- and OH- is held constant, I have determined that the reaction is first order with respect to [I-].

However, there are no trials where the concentration of OCI- changes and the other two are held constant.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. Can anyone provide some guidance. Thanks. All help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170305_042734[1].jpg
    20170305_042734[1].jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cvc121 said:
I am not sure how to deal with the hydroxide ion since it is written above the arrow. I believe that this signifies a species not included in the overall reaction but is necessary for the reaction to proceed? An intermediate maybe? Therefore, should the hydroxide ion be in the rate law?
Is there any data from which you can deduce the answer?

cvc121 said:
Using trials 1 and 2 where the concentration of OCI- and OH- is held constant, I have determined that the reaction is first order with respect to [I-].
This looks correct to me.

cvc121 said:
However, there are no trials where the concentration of OCI- changes and the other two are held constant.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. Can anyone provide some guidance. Thanks. All help is very much appreciated.

If you find out how the rate depends on [I-] and [OH-], you should be able to calculate how the rate depends on [OCl-] even if the all three concentrations are changing.

Thank you for your response.

Using trials 4 and 2, I have determined that the reaction order is -1 with respect to the hydroxide ion.

Therefore, I have determined the reaction to be first order with respect to [OCI-] using trials 2 and 3, for instance.

So rate law would be rate = k [I-][OCI-] / [OH-]?

Last edited:
Something written above the arrow for the reaction brackets (which is balanced without it) usually does the signify a catalyst. Whether the data says it really is one does not exactly hit you in the eye!

You could try looking at ratios of reactant concentrations And corresponding ratios of rates, and factoring in the one law that you do know to see whether that gives you anything. I haven't tried it.

Unless it is important for some external reason, this data does not seem to be worth wasting a lot of time on.

cvc121 said:
Thank you for your response.

Using trials 4 and 2, I have determined that the reaction order is -1 with respect to the hydroxide ion.

Therefore, I have determined the reaction to be first order with respect to [OCI-] using trials 2 and 3, for instance.

So rate law would be rate = k [I-][OCI-] / [OH-]?
That looks correct to me. Good job!

1. What is the rate law for this problem?

The rate law for this problem can be written as Rate = k[OCI-]^m, where k is the rate constant and m is the order of the reaction with respect to OCI-.

2. How do I determine the order of the reaction?

The order of the reaction can be determined by using the method of initial rates. This involves performing the reaction at different initial concentrations of OCI- and observing the corresponding rates. The order of the reaction with respect to OCI- can then be determined by comparing the rates and seeing how they change as the concentration of OCI- changes.

3. How do I calculate the rate constant?

The rate constant, k, can be calculated by using the values of the rate and the concentrations of OCI- from the rate law equation. It is important to note that the rate constant may vary depending on the temperature and other conditions of the reaction.

4. What is the significance of the rate law in chemical reactions?

The rate law describes the relationship between the rate of a chemical reaction and the concentrations of the reactants. It helps us understand the factors that influence the rate of a reaction and allows us to predict how changes in these factors will affect the rate of the reaction.

5. How can I use the rate law to predict the rate of a reaction?

By knowing the rate law and the concentrations of the reactants, we can use the rate law equation to calculate the rate of the reaction. Additionally, we can also use the rate law to predict the effect of changing the concentrations of the reactants on the rate of the reaction.