1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate Law Theory Question

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider: A(aq) + D(l) -> B(aq) + C(aq)
    Rate Law: k[H+][A]

Does the rate increase, decrease, or stay the same, when 500mL of water are added to the solution?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought was no. The water doesn't have any effect on the chemical reaction. All I could think of was a dipole dipole interaction between the H2O(l) and the H+ which might lower the collision factor because of interference, which in turn would lower the rate of the reaction.

Again though, I'm not sure. Can someone shed some light please? My exam is on Monday and this question is coming home drunk and beating me up.

Edit: Nevermind. The addition of more solvent dilutes the solution. Decrease in concentration = decrease in rate.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Aug 27, 2014 #3
    Hi Greg,

In the last line, he indicated that he got it solved.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted