Rate My Physics and Math Work: 17-Year-Old Asks for Feedback

• Thread starter ElNino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate Work
In summary, this teenager has a strong math background but a weaker physics background. He is going to college next year and wants to know what level of physics he is at. He has done some research and found that there are people like him here on this forum, so he asks. He is given a summary of his work and told that he is level-headed and should be able to do college-level physics. He is then told about some of the topics he should study if he wants to go even further.
ElNino said:
I've read a lot of it...I've worked out all the problems as well. There's a book I bought along with it by the same author that has supplementary problems and stuff so I have done I would say about 40% of the problems in that book and all of the ones in the text itself. I READ al of it I make it a point not to skip anything. In the textbook I'd say I've covered almost all of the topics. There are a couple I still have to do but the ones I have covered I have read everything that is there in the book...

Do you go to school? How many hours outside of school do you spend studying independently? Don't you have homework for school to do? If you want to go to a great university you need very good grades.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I completely understand all of what I read because I don't like to move on to new topics unless I do.

and you know what I think that's the best advice I've so far! :D I think I'm going to play some frisbee...hehe!

Yeah I go to school. Well I keep my grades up. Its just I have blips now and then because I find it more interesting to spend time on this but I'm still top of my class or there abouts. I have never really found it hard to finish my school work. I spend I'd say maybe 4 or 5 hours a day. But I take days off in teh middle. Weekends I do a lot more. Possibly 16 hours or more over the weekends...

I can't wrap my head around a 17 year old studying differential geometry...no offense, but I am having some difficulty taking you seriously. Either you're the next Terrence Tao or you're pulling some kind of a prank.

ElNino said:
Yeah I go to school. Well I keep my grades up. Its just I have blips now and then because I find it more interesting to spend time on this but I'm still top of my class or there abouts. I have never really found it hard to finish my school work. I spend I'd say maybe 4 or 5 hours a day. But I take days off in teh middle. Weekends I do a lot more. Possibly 16 hours or more over the weekends...

That seems like very little time, to be honest. I don't know how you could go through all of that stuff in such a short time.

Ok. Well I also do a lot of studying IN school. Pretty much all of my Math and Physics classes my professors don't mind me working on this stuff. My parents spoke to my teachers so they said that they were ok with this as long as I kept my grades up and I took their tests.

Anyway I think I've got what I needed from this. Thanks a lot honestly! I didn't mean to offend anyone so if I did I apologize. I hope you would believe me but even if you don't maybe we'll meet in a few years and I can show you! :P

Anyway thanks again you guys needn't reply anymore

OHH! and by the way...I noticed some of you guys said "he"...Well I know my nick translates to "little boy" but I'm a girl so yeah... "she"

ElNino said:
OHH! and by the way...I noticed some of you guys said "he"...Well I know my nick translates to "little boy" but I'm a girl so yeah... "she"

a double whammy!

Last edited:
Shouldn't you be La Nina? :smile:

Yeah but a friend of mine kind of bullied my into it! Its alright I kind of like ElNino for a girl...Next time LaNina for sure!

ElNino said:
Anyway I think I've got what I needed from this. Thanks a lot honestly! I didn't mean to offend anyone so if I did I apologize. I hope you would believe me but even if you don't maybe we'll meet in a few years and I can show you! :P

Anyway thanks again you guys needn't reply anymore

I think you should really consider what i said, it wasn't about book smart, or gender, and if you had to show up for work with everyone that replied to this thread, you would be in for "one hell of a day", unless you are "really" good looking. Even that might not work for you.:biggrin:

Very funny, the way you say it. But maybe true.

You sound like a smart girl. Talk to a professor at a local university or college. See what he or she has to say about your understanding of what you have read. If you are as good as you say you are, I would not waste my time in high school. Go to college, and take classes there. Theres no reason to be held back in high school if you are this smart.

That is right. There is a kid in my school working on an MS without having a high school diploma and BS degree.

leright said:
If you truly know all of the things you say you know, then you make me feel quite stupid, and I am a senior double major in electrical engineering and physics.

This is a clear sign of the jealousy that's been shown in this thread. You've obviously never known someone who is far more intelligent than yourself, and thus see this as a threat and so rather than encouraging ElNino, you're just trying to throw your credentials around (something we could all do, if we felt like it!)

ElNino, the last post by Cyrus is good advice: talk to someone at a local university. Most departments have outreach staff, or admissions tutors, who would be happy to talk to you.

cristo said:
This is a clear sign of the jealousy that's been shown in this thread. You've obviously never known someone who is far more intelligent than yourself, and thus see this as a threat and so rather than encouraging ElNino, you're just trying to throw your credentials around (something we could all do, if we felt like it!)

ElNino, the last post by Cyrus is good advice: talk to someone at a local university. Most departments have outreach staff, or admissions tutors, who would be happy to talk to you.

Cristo, I'm not jealous. I am just pointing out that she knows far more than a senior physics/EE major and that's great.

ElNino, don't take offense to my comments. I think it's great that you're going out of the way to learn all of this stuff as a high school student. Yeah, I would definitely contact a professor.

Last edited:
There's a guy in my year like you ElNino, he knows all this advanced stuff, 3rd year level stuff, maybe higher, but he still has to go through every year like the rest of us. I don't know if it's the same for America though.

That's not good at all. I'm 15 and I've done more than you. Shame on you.

Hey guys...I spoke to an admissions counselor today who basically said that if should focus on getting my work first reviewed and then certified by someone outside my school. Perhaps contact a university professor who has the time to go through my work. The counselor went through a lot of it as well. But he wasnt too into Physics...

He said that if I can get it certified and then get a review of my work by a certified professor I could submit these materials to a university and apply for special case admissions or something. He said that some universities don't actually need to me get a GED or equivalent to apply. And if I finish my SATs in the next few months I could enroll in college sometime this year rather than wait till the end of 2009...

Anyway thank you guys. I am quite surprised. Big change in my life if all goes according to plan! Anyway thank you SO much...just thought I'd let you guys know how it turned out!

That's great! I would hate to see school get in the way of your education. :)

ElNino said:
Hey guys...I spoke to an admissions counselor today who basically said that if should focus on getting my work first reviewed and then certified by someone outside my school. Perhaps contact a university professor who has the time to go through my work. The counselor went through a lot of it as well. But he wasnt too into Physics...

He said that if I can get it certified and then get a review of my work by a certified professor I could submit these materials to a university and apply for special case admissions or something. He said that some universities don't actually need to me get a GED or equivalent to apply. And if I finish my SATs in the next few months I could enroll in college sometime this year rather than wait till the end of 2009...

Anyway thank you guys. I am quite surprised. Big change in my life if all goes according to plan! Anyway thank you SO much...just thought I'd let you guys know how it turned out!

When you write a textbook, I want it to say:

"Dedicated to Cyrus"

on the cover.

Sometimes high schools will allow students to take college-level courses to count toward their high school graduation requirements, and they'll also count toward their college coursework too. A person in my schools as a kid did that...he was "the kid" in our high school classes (several years younger than the rest of us) and when the school ran out of math classes for him, they enrolled him in classes at the local university, even provided transportation for him).

Here's the downside, and the reason I earlier mentioned the neglect of your other classes...he ended up majoring in physics at Princeton, and in his senior year, realized how much he HATED the subject. He was great at it, but hated it. Go figure...the subject you enjoy in high school may not be the one you enjoy later in life, even if you're great at it. He ended up getting a Ph.D. in linguistics, and was MUCH happier.

So, while these are the subjects you enjoy now, I caution you again not to shortchange yourself in your other subjects...you never know how your interests might change in the future.

I don't recognize many of the concepts presented above. Except of course, the basic physics-with-calculus concepts. I'm certain the rest will be touched on later in my curriculum.

Don't things like relativity belong more in a physics setting, though?

Last edited:
carstensentyl said:
Is it bad that I'm a junior in engineering and don't know half the **** that he listed?

Seriously, yes it is. And its not a he, its a she.

carstensentyl said:
Is it bad that I'm a junior in engineering and don't know half the **** that he listed?

nah, especially if youre not EE

Although you should be aware of those topics and at least know the general idea of them

? I am an ME and I know most of those.

Cyrus said:
? I am an ME and I know most of those.

discrete math, number theory, non-euclidean geometry, quantum mechanics, differential geometry? If you know those, great, but definitely not mechanical engineering staples.

optics, semiconductors, a lot of the programming, relativity, are things maybe we've been exposed to, but I wouldn't say we would know from schooling alone.

ElNino said:
Fluid Dynamics : Consistency Equations (Navier-Stokes, Euler), LinearHyperbolic Systems, Convective and Diffusive analysis for systems in 1-D and 2-D, Finite Difference Operations - Point, Matrix, Pade's formula, Stability and
Consistency of Flow by Fourier stability analysis, Vortex, Turbulence of Flow,

Differential Geometry in Physics: Vectors and Curves, Differential Forms - 1
forms, Tensors, Exterior derivatives, Hodge-* Operator, Connections - Frames,
Curvilinear coordinates, Covariant Derivatives, Theory Of Surfaces - Flux,
Manifolds, Fundamental Theorems

Electromagnetic : Integral and Differential Calculus of Vector Fields,
Electromagnetic Theory - Maxwell, Vector Potentials, Principle of Least Action,
Solutions to Maxwell's equations of Free Space and Currents Charges,
Waveguides - Transmission Lines, Cut Off, Cavity Resonators, Alternating
Currents,
Lorentz Transformations for fields, EM Mass, Internal Crystal
Geometry, AC Circuits, Reactance, Susceptance

Semiconductors: Junction Diodes, Transistors, Characteristics, Light based
devices, Amplifiers, Oscillators.

Quantum Theory: Introduction and History of the Quantum Theory, Wave-
Particle Duality, Probability Amplitudes, Spin One and Spin Half Mechanics,
Time-Dependence of Amplitude, Hamiltonian Matrices, Schrödinger Equation in

Quantum and Classical Contexts, Hyperfine Splitting in H-Atom, Heisenberg's
Uncertainty Principle

Relativity: Introduction to theory of Relativity, Special Relativity, Relativistic
Effects on Radiation, Relativistic Effects on Matter - Time Dilation etc.,
Geometry of Space time, Dynamics in 4-D, Unifying Electromagnetism and
relativity

Mechanics: Translational and Rotational Kinematics, 2D and 3D Mechanics,
Forces, Energy, Transients, Resonance, Oscillations, Wave mechanics,
Gravitational Field, Elasticity, Molecular Forces and Solid Materials

Optics: Introduction to Geometrical ray optics, Hygens principle, Freunhofer/Fresnel diffraction, Interference, YDSE, Single slit, Multiple slits, Polarisation, Wave-Particle duality of light

I expect any ME to know what I put in bold.

Cyrus said:
I expect any ME to know what I put in bold.

Fair enough, does it count if I've forgotten most of the list?

Honestly though, most of the 'physics' stuff I expect an ME to be able to follow along in conversation, but not know all the exact details. I took this stuff in general physics, and I know every other engineer did as well. So they SHOULD know this stuff at a basic level at the very LEAST.

It should not sound like chinese to their ears.

Cyrus said:
Seriously, yes it is. And its not a he, its a she.

I'm not too concerned. Most of the things he listed were physics-related. I don't imagine the theory of relativity applies too much to building bridges.

Certainly, I recognize many of the things listed, but have never worked with their calculations. I'm afraid I'm more of the practical variant of engineer.

Why so angry Cyrus? I apologize for not keeping track of the females on the forum.

Last edited:
You never worked with the calculations I put in bold?

Thats impossible to believe. Let me know what bridges I should avoid driving on in the near future.

I hope your bridge does not have any air flow over it, oscillations, or possibly resonance. I also hope you can do calculations on the Molecular Forces and Solid Materials that will make up the bridge.

Tisk tisk tisk.

Certainly, I recognize many of the things listed, but have never worked with their
calculations. I'm afraid I'm more of the practical variant of engineer.

They call those construction workers. Dont be one of those, be an engineer.

Why so angry Cyrus?

Because I hate this false notion that engineering is some BS hands on practical nonsense. Its hands on after you have done the hard theory. Its the 'practical variant of engineering' that builds stuff that kills people.

Sorry, but it annoys me to no end when students make comments about not knowing something as if it does not matter. Statements like this:

Shows me you don't care about knowledge.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:

Thats impossible to believe. Let me know what bridges I should avoid driving on in the near future.

I hope your bridge does not have any air flow over it, oscillations, or possibly resonance. I also hope you can do calculations on the Molecular Forces and Solid Materials that will make up the bridge.

Tisk tisk tisk.

:rofl:

Cyrus said:

Tisk tisk tisk.

They call those construction workers. Dont be one of those, be an engineer.

Because I hate this false notion that engineering is some BS hands on practical nonsense. Its hands on after you have done the hard theory. Its the 'practical variant of engineering' that builds stuff that kills people.

Sorry, but it annoys me to no end when students make comments about not knowing something as if it does not matter. Statements like this:

Shows me you don't care about knowledge.

Sorry I misled you to believe that. I care quite a bit about knowledge and will be one of the first to argue when I overhear someone saying that engineers are 'trained on the job'. Not so much about the theory of relativity, however. Oscillations, resonance. I've done some class-based work on those topics.
Again, I'm only a sophomore in my major, and have plenty of civil classes, and otherwise, to experience.
I certainly would not say that I "don't care", as that is not the case at all.

Last edited: