Rate of Change and Integrals

In summary: The correct antiderivative is [-(1/10) (e^(-.05t))] and when evaluated from 0 to 30, the answer is 0.9535 cubic feet. So in summary, the correct answer is 0.9535 cubic feet of air released in the first 30 seconds.
olicoh
I already posted about this but I redid the problem and got another answer:

1. Homework Statement

The volume of an air mattress is 15 cubic feet. Air escapes at a rate of r(t)=0.25e^(−0.05t), where r is in cubic feet per second. Assuming the mattress is still completely inflated when the valve is opened, how much air is released in the first 30 seconds?

Homework Equations

Here is what I have so far:
V(30) = integral[0,30] (0.25e^(-0.05t))
= [-(1/2) (e^(-1/2t))]300

The Attempt at a Solution

= 0.499999847 cubic feet/sec

I think I did this correctly but the answer seems too small...

Physics news on Phys.org
olicoh said:
I already posted about this but I redid the problem and got another answer:

1. Homework Statement

The volume of an air mattress is 15 cubic feet. Air escapes at a rate of r(t)=0.25e^(−0.05t), where r is in cubic feet per second. Assuming the mattress is still completely inflated when the valve is opened, how much air is released in the first 30 seconds?

Homework Equations

Here is what I have so far:
V(30) = integral[0,30] (0.25e^(-0.05t))
= [-(1/2) (e^(-1/2t))]300

The Attempt at a Solution

= 0.499999847 cubic feet/sec

I think I did this correctly but the answer seems too small...

You have written e-.05t and worked the problem as though it was e-.5t. And when you are asked how much air has been released in 30 seconds, would you really give an answer in units of cubic ft / second?

You have written e-.05t and worked the problem as though it was e-.5t
What do you mean by that?

The antiderivative of (0.25e^(-0.05t)) = [-(1/2) (e^(-1/2t))] doesn't it?

LCKurtz said:
You have written e-.05t and worked the problem as though it was e-.5t. And when you are asked how much air has been released in 30 seconds, would you really give an answer in units of cubic ft / second?

olicoh said:
What do you mean by that?

The antiderivative of (0.25e^(-0.05t)) = [-(1/2) (e^(-1/2t))] doesn't it?

-.05 is not equal to -1/2.

What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures the speed at which one quantity changes with respect to another. It is often referred to as the slope of a line on a graph.

How is the rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by finding the difference in the values of the two quantities and dividing it by the difference in their corresponding units of time. This is represented by the equation: rate of change = (change in quantity) / (change in time).

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or between two curves on a graph. It is often used to find the total value or quantity of something over a specific interval.

What is the relationship between rate of change and integrals?

The rate of change and integrals are closely related, as the rate of change can be thought of as the instantaneous change in the value of a quantity at a specific point, while the integral represents the total change in the value of the quantity over a specific interval. The integral of a rate of change function gives the total change in the quantity over that interval.

How are integrals used in real life?

Integrals are used in various fields of science and engineering to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and area. They are also used in economics, finance, and other areas to calculate total values and rates of change. For example, integrals are used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, and in economics to calculate total revenue or total cost.