1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change ball thrown

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    10pdx1D.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    As far as I know those are correct. Could I have some assistance on how to solve for the rate of change? I know the formula is f(b)-f(a)/b-a but not sure how to go about it

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What if f(t) = h(t)? Could you pick two times, t1 = a and t2 = b, and calculate the rate of change, knowing h(t) as a function of t?

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    That formula is saying take the change in height f(b) - f(a) and divide by the change in time b - a. Essentially, avg rate = total displavement over time for that displacement

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately most of the answers you give here are wrong. You are given that [itex]h(t)= 56t- 16t^2= -16(t^2- (7/2)t)[/itex]. Completing the square gives [itex]h(t)= -16(t- 7/2)^2+ 196[/itex].

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

@HallsofIvy: You got a factor of 2 wrong for the last equation.

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Use parentheses!
    What you wrote is the same as ##f(b) - \frac{f(a)}{b} - a##.

If you write a fraction such as the one above in single-line text, it has to be written as (f(b) - f(a))/(b - a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted