How do I calculate the rate of water being pumped into an inverted conical tank?

In summary: You might also want to consider that, since the water is leaking out at a constant rate, the volume of water in the tank is changing at a constant rate also. You are told that "water is being pumped into an inverted conical tank at a constant rate" which means that the volume is increasing at a constant rate. What is that constant rate?In summary, the problem involves a conical tank being filled with water at a constant rate and also leaking water at a constant rate. The tank has a height of 6m and a radius of 2m. The water level is rising at a rate of 0.2m/min when the height of the water is 2m. The goal is to
rkennedy9064
I need help understanding a problem for my homework assignment. I'm not sure how to set up the problem. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Water is being pumped into an inverted conical tank at a constant rate. However, water is also leaking out of the tank at a constant rate of 0.01m^3/min. The tank is 6m tall and the radius at the top of the tank is 2 m. If the water level is rising at a rate of 0.2m/min at the moment when the height of the water is 2m, find the rate at which water is being pumped into the tank.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to find the rate of change, but I'm not sure how exactly I set up this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi rkennedy9064! welcome to pf! :wink:

call the height of the water y(t), the volume of water w(y), and the pumping rate p

then write an equation for dw/dt …

what do you get? :smile:

Do you know the formula for the volume of a cone with height h and base radius r?

You will want to reduce from two variables, h and r, to only one- either h or r. You can do that by seeing that for the entire tank r= 2 while h= 6 and the cone formed by the water maintains that shape (think "similar triangles").

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of change for a cone?

The formula for calculating the rate of change for a cone is (change in height)/(change in radius).

2. How do you interpret the rate of change for a cone?

The rate of change for a cone represents the steepness of the cone's height in relation to its radius. A higher rate of change indicates a steeper slope, while a lower rate of change indicates a gentler slope.

3. How does the rate of change affect the volume of a cone?

The rate of change directly affects the volume of a cone. As the rate of change increases, the volume of the cone also increases. Conversely, as the rate of change decreases, the volume of the cone decreases.

4. Can the rate of change for a cone be negative?

Yes, the rate of change for a cone can be negative. This would indicate that as the radius increases, the height decreases, resulting in a decreasing slope.

5. How does the rate of change for a cone relate to its surface area?

The rate of change for a cone also affects its surface area. As the rate of change increases, the surface area also increases. This is because a steeper cone has a larger surface area than a gentler cone.