Rate of Change in a coordinate plane

In summary, the problem asks to find the rate of change of distance between two points, when one point is moving along the x-axis at a constant rate of 'a' ft/sec and the other point is moving along the y-axis at a constant rate of 'b' ft/sec. The distance formula is used to set up the equation, and taking the derivative with respect to time gives the final answer of \frac{xa + yb}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} ft/sec.
NYmike
Hi. I am drawing a complete blank on this calc problem.

Point a moves along the x-axis at the constant rate of 'a' ft/sec
while point b moves along the y-axis at the constant rate of 'b'
ft/sec. Find how fast the distance between them is changing when A is
at the point (x,0)and B is at the point (0, y).

I know that dx / dt = a, and dy / dt = b, however I am stuck on where to go afterwards. I drew a graph and thought that the slope would lead
me to an answer, but I can't quite figure it out. Since I am looking for the change in distance between the two points I figured that I may have to incorporate the distance formula rather than some formula with slope, however I can't quite figure out how to go about it. :redface:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wording of the problem provides the clue as to how to proceed.

Find how fast the distance between them is changing

This tells you two things:

1. You need to develop an equation for the distance between the points

2. differentiate (1) and evaluate at the desired x & y

[tex]d = \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = a[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = b[/tex]

That's what I've come up with so far.

Now, since I am trying to find the rate of change of the distance, then I believe I am looking for [tex]\frac{dd}{dt}[/tex]

Taking the derative of the distance formula directly would be pretty sloppy, so I think I should plug in for the values of x and y and then evaluate the deriv. I believe that the two points in question are: (x+a, 0) and (0, y+b). Is this correct? This is where the points A and B are after 1 second.

If so, then [tex]\Delta x = (x+a) - (0) = (x+a)[/tex] and [tex]\Delta y = (0) - (y+b) = -y-b[/tex]

Last edited:
NYmike said:
Taking the derative of the distance formula directly would be pretty sloppy, so I think I should plug in for the values of x and y and then evaluate the deriv.

:eek: Even after plugging in the deriv is ridiculous.

There must be a way to plug in something else. Am I using the wrong coordinates/formula?

NYmike said:
:eek: Even after plugging in the deriv is ridiculous.

There must be a way to plug in something else. Am I using the wrong coordinates/formula?

I don't see a "t" anywhere in there. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that somehow your distance equation needs to reflect that X and Y are changing as a function of t.

Try replacing [itex]d = \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}[/itex] with [itex]d = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]. Maybe you've been studying partial derivatives recently.

Carl

Dorothy Weglend said:
I don't see a "t" anywhere in there. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that somehow your distance equation needs to reflect that X and Y are changing as a function of t.

I was taught that [tex]\frac{d(some var)}{dt}[/tex] = the Rate of Change of some var. with respect to time. The rate of change of x with respect to time is 'a', and of y with respect to time is 'b'. I am trying to find the rate of change of distance (var. d) with respect to time. I am pretty sure that this part is correct?

CarlB said:
Try replacing [itex]d = \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}[/itex] with [itex]d = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]. Maybe you've been studying partial derivatives recently.

Carl

Sorry, but I am not sure where you are going with this.

When [tex]d = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] :

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} (x^2 + y^2)^\frac{-1}{2} (2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} * \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} * 2xa + 2yb[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{xa + yb}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

I have 2 points, so which would i plug in for x and y??

Last edited:
NYmike said:
I have 2 points, so which would i plug in for x and y??

x and y were given as data to the problem. You don't plug anything in for them. You're done and I think you got the right answer.

Carl

What is the rate of change in a coordinate plane?

The rate of change in a coordinate plane is a measure of how much one variable changes in relation to another variable. It is commonly referred to as the slope of a line.

How is the rate of change calculated in a coordinate plane?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the y-coordinate (vertical change) by the change in the x-coordinate (horizontal change) between two points on a line.

What does a positive rate of change indicate?

A positive rate of change indicates that the line is increasing, or sloping upwards, from left to right. This means that as the x-coordinate increases, the y-coordinate also increases.

What does a negative rate of change indicate?

A negative rate of change indicates that the line is decreasing, or sloping downwards, from left to right. This means that as the x-coordinate increases, the y-coordinate decreases.

How can the rate of change be used in real-life situations?

The rate of change can be used to analyze and predict various phenomena, such as the speed of an object, the growth rate of a population, or the cost of a product over time. It is an important concept in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.