1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Change in a coordinate plane

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hi. Im drawing a complete blank on this calc problem.

Point a moves along the x-axis at the constant rate of 'a' ft/sec
    while point b moves along the y-axis at the constant rate of 'b'
    ft/sec. Find how fast the distance between them is changing when A is
    at the point (x,0)and B is at the point (0, y).

I know that dx / dt = a, and dy / dt = b, however Im stuck on where to go afterwards. I drew a graph and thought that the slope would lead
    me to an answer, but I cant quite figure it out. Since Im looking for the change in distance between the two points I figured that I may have to incorporate the distance formula rather than some formula with slope, however I cant quite figure out how to go about it. :redface:

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

The wording of the problem provides the clue as to how to proceed.

This tells you two things:

1. You need to develop an equation for the distance between the points

2. differentiate (1) and evaluate at the desired x & y

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    [tex]d = \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = a[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = b[/tex]

That's what I've come up with so far.

Now, since I am trying to find the rate of change of the distance, then I believe I am looking for [tex]\frac{dd}{dt}[/tex]

Taking the derative of the distance formula directly would be pretty sloppy, so I think I should plug in for the values of x and y and then evaluate the deriv. I believe that the two points in question are: (x+a, 0) and (0, y+b). Is this correct? This is where the points A and B are after 1 second.

If so, then [tex]\Delta x = (x+a) - (0) = (x+a)[/tex] and [tex]\Delta y = (0) - (y+b) = -y-b[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. Oct 5, 2005 #4
    :eek: Even after plugging in the deriv is ridiculous.

There must be a way to plug in something else. Am I using the wrong coordinates/formula?

6. Oct 5, 2005 #5
    I don't see a "t" anywhere in there. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems that somehow your distance equation needs to reflect that X and Y are changing as a function of t.

7. Oct 5, 2005 #6

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try replacing [itex]d = \sqrt{\Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2}[/itex] with [itex]d = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]. Maybe you've been studying partial derivatives recently.

Carl

8. Oct 5, 2005 #7
    I was taught that [tex]\frac{d(some var)}{dt}[/tex] = the Rate of Change of some var. with respect to time. The rate of change of x with respect to time is 'a', and of y with respect to time is 'b'. I am trying to find the rate of change of distance (var. d) with respect to time. Im pretty sure that this part is correct?

9. Oct 5, 2005 #8
    Sorry, but Im not sure where you are going with this.

When [tex]d = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] :

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} (x^2 + y^2)^\frac{-1}{2} (2x\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} * \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} * 2xa + 2yb[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dd}{dt} = \frac{xa + yb}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

I have 2 points, so which would i plug in for x and y??

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  10. Oct 5, 2005 #9

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x and y were given as data to the problem. You don't plug anything in for them. You're done and I think you got the right answer.

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?