1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Change of Entropy

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Every second at Niagara Falls, some 5.0 10^3 m3 of water falls a distance of 50.0 m. What is the increase in entropy per second due to the falling water? Assume that the mass of the surroundings is so great that its temperature and that of the water stay nearly constant at 20.0°C. Also assume a negligible amount of water evaporates.

2. Relevant equations

S = ∫ dQ/T

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, if I divided across by Δt, then I would have an equation set up for the quantity I need.

Temperature is constant, but since there is no real change in temperature or phase, is there any real change in heat? I'm not sure of where to go from here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Potential Energy converts to Kinetic Energy then to Heat Energy. Entropy is Q/T.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2
    so how do you solve this problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted