No problem, glad it worked out in the end!

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the direction of the largest slope on a hill given an equation and a starting point. The solution involved calculating the gradient and using it to find the rate of ascent and angle of the path in that direction. The final answer was a rate of ascent of 2 meters and an angle of 63.43 degrees.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Suppose you are climbing a hill whose shape is given by the equation:
[itex] z = 1400 − 0.005x^2 − 0.01y^2 [/itex]
where x, y, and z are measured in meters, and you are standing at a point with coordinates (120, 80, 1264). The positive x-axis points east and the positive y-axis points north.

In which direction is the slope largest?
What is the rate of ascent in that direction?
At what angle above the horizontal does the path in that direction begin? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)

2. The attempt at a solution

The direction of the gradient is the direction in which the slope is largest
We know that
[tex] \nabla z = (-0.01,-0.02) [/tex]
[tex] \nabla z(120,80) = (-1.2,-1.6) [/tex]

The rate of ascent at this direction would be given as:
[tex] \sqrt{1.2^2+1.6^2} = 2 [/tex]

and this given a corresponding angle of [itex] \tan^{-1} 2 = 63.43 [/itex] degrees. Is this correct?

The system into which I have put in this answer says I am wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Does it reject all three answers or only certain ones?

haruspex said:
Looks right to me. Does it reject all three answers or only certain ones?

It worked out in the end. i was calculating it with 1.8 instesd of 1.6 silly me!

But thanks for your confirmation!

What is the rate of change on a hill?

The rate of change on a hill refers to the change in elevation over a given distance. It is a measure of how steep or gradual the slope of a hill is.

How is the rate of change calculated on a hill?

The rate of change on a hill is calculated by dividing the change in elevation by the distance traveled. This can be expressed as a ratio or a percentage.

Why is the rate of change important on a hill?

The rate of change on a hill is important because it can impact the difficulty of traversing the hill. A steeper rate of change may require more effort and energy to climb, while a gradual rate of change may be easier to navigate.

How does the rate of change on a hill affect erosion?

The rate of change on a hill can affect erosion in two ways. A steeper rate of change can lead to more erosion due to increased water flow and sediment movement, while a slower rate of change can allow for more vegetation to grow and stabilize the soil, reducing erosion.

Can the rate of change on a hill change over time?

Yes, the rate of change on a hill can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and weathering, as well as human activities like construction and deforestation. It is important to monitor and understand the rate of change on a hill to mitigate potential hazards and preserve the landscape.