1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change problem

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that t hours after a piece of food is put in the fridge its temperature (in Celsius) is

T(t) = 15 - 3t + [tex]\frac{4}{t - 1}[/tex]

where 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 5.

Find the rate of change of temperature after one hour.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since it's asking for rate of change, I'm guessing I have to find the derivative of the equation with respect to t.

T(t) = 15 - 3t + [tex]\frac{4}{t - 1}[/tex]

T`(t) = 0 - 3 + [tex]\frac{0(t - 1) - 1(4)}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex] (Quotient Rule)

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{0 - 4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{-4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 - [tex]\frac{4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

Would I just plug in 1 after this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't guess! The derivative of a function is its rate of change!

That's what you would like to do- but this function has serious problem at t= 1. Do you remember that, in order to have a derivative at a point, the function must be continuous there? Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? That's a very strange temperature function! Isn't it peculiar that the temperature of the food goes up when it is put in the refridgerator?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    Yes, I checked and checked again and that is the equation.

What if I were to plug in a value slightly greater than 1? Would that give me the rate of change after one hour?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  5. Mar 30, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I just don't know what to say about a refrigerator where the temperature goes to infinity in one hour!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?