Rate of Change Problem: Finding Derivative of Temperature Function T(t)

In summary: Yes, if you plug in 1.1, that would give you the rate of change after one hour. But I would not trust that rate of change!In summary, the given equation for the temperature of food in a refrigerator has a discontinuity at t=1 and the rate of change at t=1 is not reliable.
Incog

Homework Statement

Suppose that t hours after a piece of food is put in the fridge its temperature (in Celsius) is

T(t) = 15 - 3t + [tex]\frac{4}{t - 1}[/tex]

where 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 5.

Find the rate of change of temperature after one hour.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's asking for rate of change, I'm guessing I have to find the derivative of the equation with respect to t.

T`(t) = 0 - 3 + [tex]\frac{0(t - 1) - 1(4)}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex] (Quotient Rule)

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{0 - 4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{-4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 - [tex]\frac{4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

Would I just plug in 1 after this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Incog said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that t hours after a piece of food is put in the fridge its temperature (in Celsius) is

where 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\leq[/tex] 5.

Find the rate of change of temperature after one hour.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's asking for rate of change, I'm guessing I have to find the derivative of the equation with respect to t.
Don't guess! The derivative of a function is its rate of change!

T`(t) = 0 - 3 + [tex]\frac{0(t - 1) - 1(4)}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex] (Quotient Rule)

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{0 - 4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 + [tex]\frac{-4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

T`(t) = -3 - [tex]\frac{4}{(t-1)^{2}}[/tex]

Would I just plug in 1 after this?
That's what you would like to do- but this function has serious problem at t= 1. Do you remember that, in order to have a derivative at a point, the function must be continuous there? Are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? That's a very strange temperature function! Isn't it peculiar that the temperature of the food goes up when it is put in the refridgerator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I checked and checked again and that is the equation.

What if I were to plug in a value slightly greater than 1? Would that give me the rate of change after one hour?

Last edited:
Well, I just don't know what to say about a refrigerator where the temperature goes to infinity in one hour!

What is the rate of change problem?

The rate of change problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the average rate at which one quantity changes with respect to another quantity. It is commonly used in physics, economics, and other sciences to analyze how one variable affects another.

How do you calculate the rate of change?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the dependent variable by the change in the independent variable. This can be represented using the formula: (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where y represents the dependent variable and x represents the independent variable.

What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval of time or distance, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time or space. The instantaneous rate of change takes into account the change that occurs in an infinitesimally small interval, while the average rate of change considers the overall change over a larger interval.

Why is the rate of change important?

The rate of change is important because it allows us to understand how different variables are related and how they affect each other. It can also help us make predictions about future trends and patterns. In science, the rate of change is often used to analyze data and draw conclusions about the natural world.

What are some real-world examples of the rate of change problem?

The rate of change problem can be applied to many real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the average speed of a moving object, the growth rate of a population, or the rate of change in temperature over time. It is also commonly used in economics to analyze changes in prices and demand.