Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of change problem

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A water tank is built in the shape of a circular cone with a height of 6 m and a diameter of 10 m at the top. Water is being pumped into the tank at a rate of 2m[tex]^{3}[/tex]
    per minute. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the water is 2 m deep.

2. Relevant equations

Volume of a cone - [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] [tex]\Pi[/tex] r[tex]^{2}[/tex] h

Surface area of a cone - [tex]\Pi[/tex] r s + [tex]\Pi[/tex] r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] = 2m[tex]^{3}[/tex]/min

I think I have to find [tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] but other than that I'm completely lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    what is h as a function of v?

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    I'm not sure I understand.

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

TMM

Can you relate r and h with the knowledge that the tank is a cone?

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5
    What both ice109 and TMM are trying to say is that you have two variables since

[tex]V = \frac{1}{3}{\pi}r^2h[/tex]

Both the radius and height are effecting the volume. So before you can find dh/dt you need to find a way to relate r in terms of h.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Draw a triangle, vertex at the bottom, base horizontal, with height 6 and base length 10, representing the water tank. Draw a horizontal line representing the water line in the tank, with length 2r (since the diameter is twice the radius) and height above the vertex h. Use "similar triangles" to connect h and r.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook