1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of Change problem

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    According to Ohm's law, the voltage V, current I, and resistance R in a current are related by the equation V = IR, where the units are . . . Assume the voltage is constant V = 12V. Calculate:
    a) The average ROC of I with respect to R for the interval from R = 8 to R = 8.1
    b) The ROC of I with respect to R when R = 8
    c) The ROC of R with respect to I when I = 1.5

2. Relevant equations
    I'm assuming something like f(x) = lim(h->0) of f(x+h) - f(x)/h or finding the f'(x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really even sure how to set this problem up. I have about a million problems with this homework set, have seen the teacher, have seen a tutor, nothing really seems to help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    If someone could at least send me a link of a similar problem so I can look at it, I would appreciate it.

4. Sep 21, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This means that IR = 12, or I = 12/R. So here I = I(R) is a function of R.
    For the average rate of change, calculate (I(8.1) - I(8))/(8.1 - 8)
    Here you want the instantaneous rate of change -- dI/dR, evaluated at R = 8.
    Solve for R as a function of I, then take the derivative. Here you want the instantaneous rate of change -- dR/dI, evaluated at I = 1.5.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook