What is the Rate of Change in Ohm's Law?

In summary: If someone could at least send me a link of a similar problem so I can look at it, I would appreciate it.In summary, the average rate of change of I with respect to R for the interval from R = 8 to R = 8.1 is 12/(8.1-8), or 0.667.
sydneyfranke

Homework Statement

According to Ohm's law, the voltage V, current I, and resistance R in a current are related by the equation V = IR, where the units are . . . Assume the voltage is constant V = 12V. Calculate:
a) The average ROC of I with respect to R for the interval from R = 8 to R = 8.1
b) The ROC of I with respect to R when R = 8
c) The ROC of R with respect to I when I = 1.5

Homework Equations

I'm assuming something like f(x) = lim(h->0) of f(x+h) - f(x)/h or finding the f'(x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really even sure how to set this problem up. I have about a million problems with this homework set, have seen the teacher, have seen a tutor, nothing really seems to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone could at least send me a link of a similar problem so I can look at it, I would appreciate it.

sydneyfranke said:

Homework Statement

According to Ohm's law, the voltage V, current I, and resistance R in a current are related by the equation V = IR, where the units are . . . Assume the voltage is constant V = 12V.
This means that IR = 12, or I = 12/R. So here I = I(R) is a function of R.
sydneyfranke said:
Calculate:
a) The average ROC of I with respect to R for the interval from R = 8 to R = 8.1
For the average rate of change, calculate (I(8.1) - I(8))/(8.1 - 8)
sydneyfranke said:
b) The ROC of I with respect to R when R = 8
Here you want the instantaneous rate of change -- dI/dR, evaluated at R = 8.
sydneyfranke said:
c) The ROC of R with respect to I when I = 1.5
Solve for R as a function of I, then take the derivative. Here you want the instantaneous rate of change -- dR/dI, evaluated at I = 1.5.
sydneyfranke said:

Homework Equations

I'm assuming something like f(x) = lim(h->0) of f(x+h) - f(x)/h or finding the f'(x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really even sure how to set this problem up. I have about a million problems with this homework set, have seen the teacher, have seen a tutor, nothing really seems to help.

1. What is the rate of change?

The rate of change is the speed at which a quantity is changing over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the change in time.

2. How do you find the rate of change?

To find the rate of change, you need to first determine the initial value and final value of the quantity. Then, subtract the initial value from the final value and divide the result by the change in time.

3. What units are used to measure rate of change?

The units used to measure rate of change depend on the quantity being measured. For example, if the quantity is distance and the change in time is in hours, the rate of change would be measured in miles per hour.

4. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval of time, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. The average rate of change gives an overall picture of the rate of change, while the instantaneous rate of change gives the exact rate at a specific moment.

5. How is rate of change used in real life?

Rate of change is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and predict changes in quantities over time. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of a car, the growth rate of a population, or the rate of inflation.