1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change question

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find any and all points inside the interval (0,3) where the instantaneous rate of change of f equals the average rate of change of f over the interval [0,3], for the equation

f(x) = 4x^2 - x^3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure how to do this. How do I find the average rate of change over that interval? I was thinking take the derivative:

f'(x) = 8x - 3x^2

plugging in 0 and 3 to get f'(0) = 0, and f'(3) = -3. So the average rate of change would be
    -1.5?

And then saying

-1.5 = = 8x - 3x^2? I don't know, gah. How do I solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2
    Based on how I see things, you're quite nearly there! You've just ended up with a quadratic equation, now what do you do?

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    Derivatives are the instantaneous rate of change. Your book should have a formula (a very familiar looking formula) for average rates of change.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, what you've written is not the "average rate of change". The average rate of change of a function f over the interval [a; b] should be calculated as follow:

[tex]\frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/tex]

Hopefully, you can go from there, right? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook