1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of Change Question

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A building has an external elevator. The elevator is rising at a constant rate of ##2 \; \text{ms}^{-1}##.
    Sarah is stationary, watching the elevator from a point 30m away from the base of the elevator shaft.
    Let the angle of elevation of the elevator floor from Sarah's eye level be ##\theta##.

Find the rate at which the angle of elevation is increasing when the elevator floor is 20m above Sarah’s eye level.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Am I trying to find ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{d\theta}{dh}\times \frac{dh}{dt}##. We know ##\frac{dh}{dt} = 2##. Am I on the right track???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not just keep going and see what you get?

4. Dec 4, 2017 #3
    Ok then. ##h = 30 \tan{(\theta)}## so ##\frac{dh}{d\theta} = 30\sec^2{(\theta)}##. Hence, ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{\cos^2{(\theta)}}{15}##.

5. Dec 4, 2017 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fine so far. But you should be able to express ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}## as a numerical value. What is ##\cos(\theta)## when ##h=20##?

6. Dec 4, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good. That is exactly what I was hoping you would do.

I was basically encouraging you to do more on your own, by taking a chance and trying out something---win or lose. That is how we all learned.

7. Dec 5, 2017 #6
    Thanks for all your help.
    I found the length of the hypotenuse then calculated ##\theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}\right)## then threw that solution into ##\frac{d\theta}{dt}##.

8. Dec 6, 2017 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Though you actually didn't need to find ##\theta##, right? All you need is ##\cos(\theta)=\frac{30}{\sqrt{1300}}##.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted