1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of Change (Rectangle)

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangle has a constant area of 200m2 and its length L is increasing at the rate of 4 meters per second. Find the width W at the instant the width is decreasing at the rate of 0.5 meters per second.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]dA/dt =0[/tex] (since the area is constant)
    [tex]dL/dt =4 m/s[/tex]
    [tex]dW/dt =-0.5 m/s[/tex]
    and I'm not sure, but parameter is [tex]P=2L+2W[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote L in terms of W, and W in terms of L, but I am having trouble taking L=(200/W) to dL/dt.
    I know that most related rates problems need two equations, so I have been trying to figure out how parameters may work in. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    This is true at only one point in time, not as an identity. You first want to know the rate of change of W. Certainly, W=A/L, so

For what value of L is this equal to .5? What is the corresponding value of W?
  4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    Ahhhhh, I understand now!
    My problem was just that, I thought that dW/dt=-.5 all the time, I forgot its connection to L! Thank you very much for your assistance.
  5. Oct 18, 2009 #4
    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I have the same problem on a packet. I understand that dW/dt does not equal .5 all the time.

However, I don't see the reasoning behind "certainly, w = a/l, so..." and then the little graphic. Could someone explain it to me?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?