Finding the Width of a Rectangle at a Changing Rate: A Related Rates Problem

In summary, a rectangle with a constant area of 200m2 has a length L that is increasing at a rate of 4 meters per second. The width W at the instant when it is decreasing at a rate of 0.5 meters per second can be found by using the equation dW/dt = -4A/L^2, where A is the constant area and L is the length. This equation can be derived from the relationship between the width and length of a rectangle, W = A/L. The values of L and W can then be determined at the specific point in time when dW/dt = -0.5 m/s.
Swerting

Homework Statement

A rectangle has a constant area of 200m2 and its length L is increasing at the rate of 4 meters per second. Find the width W at the instant the width is decreasing at the rate of 0.5 meters per second.

Homework Equations

[tex]A=200[/tex]
[tex]dA/dt =0[/tex] (since the area is constant)
[tex]dL/dt =4 m/s[/tex]
[tex]dW/dt =-0.5 m/s[/tex]
[tex]A=(L)(W)[/tex]
and I'm not sure, but parameter is [tex]P=2L+2W[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote L in terms of W, and W in terms of L, but I am having trouble taking L=(200/W) to dL/dt.
I know that most related rates problems need two equations, so I have been trying to figure out how parameters may work in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Swerting said:
[tex]dW/dt =-0.5 m/s[/tex]

This is true at only one point in time, not as an identity. You first want to know the rate of change of W. Certainly, W=A/L, so
[tex]
\frac{dW}{dt}=\frac{dW}{dL}\frac{dL}{dt}=-4\frac{A}{L^2}
[/tex]

For what value of L is this equal to .5? What is the corresponding value of W?

Ahhhhh, I understand now!
My problem was just that, I thought that dW/dt=-.5 all the time, I forgot its connection to L! Thank you very much for your assistance.

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I have the same problem on a packet. I understand that dW/dt does not equal .5 all the time.

However, I don't see the reasoning behind "certainly, w = a/l, so..." and then the little graphic. Could someone explain it to me?

What is the definition of rate of change?

The rate of change, also known as the slope, is a measure of how one quantity changes in relation to another quantity. It represents the steepness of a line on a graph.

How is rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the dependent variable by the change in the independent variable. This can also be written as the change in y divided by the change in x.

What does a positive rate of change indicate?

A positive rate of change indicates that the dependent variable is increasing as the independent variable increases. This means that the line on a graph will be pointing upwards and have a positive slope.

What does a negative rate of change indicate?

A negative rate of change indicates that the dependent variable is decreasing as the independent variable increases. This means that the line on a graph will be pointing downwards and have a negative slope.

How is rate of change used in real life?

Rate of change is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the growth rate of a population, or analyzing stock market trends. It is also used in physics, economics, and other fields to make predictions and analyze patterns.