How to Calculate Water Level Changes in a Filling Trough

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a trough in the shape of an isosceles trapezoid being filled with water. The dimensions of the trough are given and the question is how fast the water level is rising when the water is 30 cm deep. One person suggests using a similar triangle approach to eliminate the base of the triangles on each side of the rectangle that make up the trapezoid. However, another person points out that the equation relating volume to height may be incorrect and suggests using the equation dh/dt=dh/dV*dV/dt to find the answer. Finally, it is clarified that the trough is actually 1 m long instead of 10 cm.
Lancelot59

Homework Statement

A trough in the shape of an isosceles trapezoid is 30 cm wide on the bottom, 80 cm on the top, 50 cm tall, and 10 cm long. It is being filled with water at 0.2 cm3/min. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 30 cm deep.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I used a similar triangle deal to eliminate the 'base' of the triangles on each side of the rectangle that make up the trapezoid. Then I wrote this:

v=((30h)+(.5h)(h)(2)) * 10

but when I go to derive it, it all hits zero...something is wrong here. What is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I do not think your equation relating volume to height is correct, try working it out again.

Substitute the equation you obtain and the values given into dh/dt=dh/dV*dV/dt to find your answer.

Hope this helps.

Uh...ok. I'll give it a try.

That's a very odd looking trough if it's only 10 cm long. Are you sure it isn't 100 cm long instead?

Whoops, yeah. It's 1 m long, so 100 cm. My bad.

1. What is the rate of change with volumes?

The rate of change with volumes refers to how quickly the volume of a substance or object changes over time. It is a measure of the change in volume per unit of time.

2. How is the rate of change with volumes calculated?

The rate of change with volumes is calculated by taking the difference in volume between two points in time and dividing it by the difference in time. This gives the average rate of change over that time period.

3. What units are used to measure rate of change with volumes?

The units used to measure rate of change with volumes will depend on the specific substance or object being measured. For liquids and gases, it is typically measured in milliliters per second or liters per hour. For solids, it is often measured in cubic centimeters per minute or cubic meters per day.

4. How can the rate of change with volumes be applied in real life?

The rate of change with volumes can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze the flow of fluids, the growth or decay of objects, and the rate of chemical reactions.

5. How does temperature affect the rate of change with volumes?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the rate of change with volumes. As temperature increases, molecules tend to move faster and take up more space, resulting in a higher rate of change in volume. This is seen in the expansion of gases when heated and the contraction of solids when cooled.