Calculating Distance Change of Plane from Radar Station

In summary: The distance from the plane to the radar station is changing at a rate of -320 mph when the plane is exactly 2.5 miles from the station.
jpc90
Q) a plane is flying horizontally at an altitude of 1.5 miles and a speed of 400 mph. it is on a linear path that will take it directly over a radar station. find the rate at which the distance from the plane to the radar station is changing when the plane is exactly 2.5 miles from the station.

I know the answer is -320 mph, but i don't know how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a diagram yet? If not, do so and figure out what kind of shape you are dealing with. Then you can see what distance you need to find and derive the equations from there.

Its a triangle, and i got the distance as 2.915? If that's right, I still don't know what to do from there

jpc90 said:
Its a triangle, and i got the distance as 2.915? If that's right, I still don't know what to do from there

Notice that the triangle is a right triangle and two of those sides are changing in length. What equation relates these lengths to each other? What process evaluates the rate of change? Use it on the equation and substitute in the instantaneous values given in your problem.

Well, I don't think you've solved for the right value. The hypotenuse is the distance from the plane to the station, right? That means that it has the value of 2.5 at that time. In other words, the x-component is not 2.5. Also, think about the equation that you're using and how it relates all of the pieces of info that you are given.

ok, so the distance is; 2.5^2= 1.5^2 + D^2
d=2

Yeah, that's right. Now do what AEM said.

1.5dy/dt + 2.5dx/dt= 2dr/dt
1.5(0) +2.5dx/dt= 2(-400)
2.5(dx/dt)=-800
dx/dt= -800/2.5 = -320

?

jpc90 said:
1.5dy/dt + 2.5dx/dt= 2dr/dt
1.5(0) +2.5dx/dt= 2(-400)
2.5(dx/dt)=-800
dx/dt= -800/2.5 = -320

?

Well, you got the right answer but your equations are a little backwards. First of all, since y is a constant value of 1.5, not 5, you can plug it in before you differentiate. Second, remember that the velocity of the plane is in the x direction, not along the hypotenuse of the triangle.

1. x^2 + y^2 = r^2
2. x^2 + (1.5)^2 = r^2
3. 2(x)(dx/dt) = 2(r)(dr/dt)
4. 2(2)(-400) = 2(2.5)(dr/dt)
5. -1600 = 5(dr/dt)
6. (dr/dt) = -320

Last edited:
jpc90 said:
Q) a plane is flying horizontally at an altitude of 1.5 miles and a speed of 400 mph. it is on a linear path that will take it directly over a radar station. find the rate at which the distance from the plane to the radar station is changing when the plane is exactly 2.5 miles from the station.

I know the answer is -320 mph, but i don't know how to get it.

Let's start over. You're going about this poorly. We'll put the radar station at our origin, let the vertical direction be y and the horizontal direction be x. Let the direct distance of the plane from the radar station along (the hypotenuse) be s. Then

[tex] s^2 = x^2 + y^2 [/tex]

When you differentiate this equation with respect to time, keeping in mind that y is a constant, you get

[tex] 2 s \frac{ds}{dt} = 2 x \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Notice that the derivative of y with respect to t is zero. This step must be done before you substitute in numbers. Cancel off the common factor of 2. Figure out what values to substitute in for s, x, and dx/dt and you've got it. Remember: do not substitute values into your equation before you differentiate otherwise you mak make the mistake of treating something as a constant that isn't. You might want to think about why the answer is negative.

1. How is distance change of a plane calculated from a radar station?

The distance change of a plane from a radar station is calculated using the time it takes for the radar signal to travel to the plane and back. This is known as the time of flight. By multiplying the time of flight by the speed of the radar signal, the distance traveled by the signal is determined. This distance is then divided by two, as it represents the total distance from the radar station to the plane and back.

2. What is the speed of the radar signal used in the calculation?

The speed of the radar signal used in the calculation is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is a constant value and is used in all radar distance calculations.

3. Can the distance change of a plane be calculated using only one radar station?

No, the distance change of a plane cannot be accurately calculated using only one radar station. This is because the radar signal only provides information about the distance from the radar station to the plane, but not the direction. To accurately calculate the distance change, information from at least two radar stations is needed.

4. How is the accuracy of the distance change calculation affected by weather conditions?

Weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or fog, can affect the accuracy of the distance change calculation. This is because the radar signal can be scattered or absorbed by these elements, resulting in a weaker or distorted signal. This can lead to errors in the calculation and may require the use of other methods, such as triangulation, for more accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using radar to calculate distance change of a plane?

Yes, there are limitations to using radar to calculate the distance change of a plane. These include the need for multiple radar stations for accurate calculations, the potential for errors due to weather conditions, and the possibility of radar jamming or interference. Additionally, the radar signal may not be able to detect small or low-flying planes, making it less effective in these situations.