Calculating Volume of Right Circular Cylinder: Radii 3 to 6 cm

In summary: I can't see them.Those are the parentheses that tell you to take the derivative of the function with respect to r. Without them, you would be getting incorrect answers.
charliemagne

Homework Statement

Use the formula V = (1/3)pi r2(h) for the volume of a right circular cylinder to find
a. the average rate at which the volume of a right circular cylinder changes with the radius r as r increases from 3 cm to 6 cm.
b. the instantaneous rate at which the volume of the right circular cylinder changes with r when r = 6 cm.

I tried to solve it at home and I arrived at the answers:

a. 3(pi)(h)

b. 4(pi)(h)

Are my answers correct?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
charliemagne said:

Homework Statement

Use the formula V = (1/3)pi r2(h) for the volume of a right circular cylinder to find
a. the average rate at which the volume of a right circular cylinder changes with the radius r as r increases from 3 cm to 6 cm.
b. the instantaneous rate at which the volume of the right circular cylinder changes with r when r = 6 cm.

a. 3(pi)(h)

b. 4(pi)(h)

Are my answers correct?

thanks
Without working the problem for myself, I don't know. Show us how you got these answers. In this problem is only the radius changing, or are both radius and height changing?

charliemagne said:

Homework Statement

a. 3(pi)(h)

b. 4(pi)(h)

Are my answers correct?

thanks

That isn't the formula for the volume of a cylinder. It is the formula for the volume of a cone.

Mark44 said:
Without working the problem for myself, I don't know. Show us how you got these answers. In this problem is only the radius changing, or are both radius and height changing?

Solution:

dy/dx=( 1/3 π(〖6)〗^(2 ) h- 1/3 π(〖3)〗^2 h)/(6-3)

dy/dx=( 1/3 π36h- 1/3 π9h)/2

dy/dx=(12πh-3πh)/3
dy/dx=9πh/3
=3πh
Solution:
dy/dx=2/3 πrh
At r = 6:
dy/dx=2/3 π6h
=4πh

charliemagne said:
Solution:

dy/dx=(12πh-3πh)/3
dy/dx=9πh/3
=3πh
Solution:
dy/dx=2/3 πrh
At r = 6:
dy/dx=2/3 π6h
=4πh

Your formula for volume is V = (1/3)pi r2(h). There is no y or x in this equation so dy/dx makes no sense. You are talking about V as a funtion of r and apparently h is a constant. To get the average rate of change as r changes from 3 to 6 you want to calculate:

[tex]V_{ave} = \frac {V(6)-V(3)}{(6-3)}[/tex]

That is what you actually started to calculate, but you mis-labeled, it isn't a derivative, and you need to check your arithmetic.

For part (b) you want dV/dr. Calculate it, but don't put the numbers in for r until your have the derivative simplified. I think you should get 24 pi h. No y or x anywhere in your answer.

charliemagne said:
Solution:

What are those things around the 6 and the 3?

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a right circular cylinder?

The formula for calculating the volume of a right circular cylinder is V = πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder.

What are the units of measurement used for the radius and height in the volume formula?

The units of measurement used for the radius and height in the volume formula can be in any unit of length, such as centimeters, meters, or inches. It is important to make sure that the units for both the radius and height are consistent.

How do I calculate the volume of a right circular cylinder with a radius of 3 cm?

To calculate the volume of a right circular cylinder with a radius of 3 cm, plug in the value of 3 for r in the formula V = πr²h. You will also need to know the height of the cylinder in order to calculate the volume.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the volume of a cylinder with a radius of 6 cm?

Yes, the formula V = πr²h can be used to calculate the volume of a cylinder with any radius. Simply plug in the value of 6 for r, along with the height of the cylinder, to calculate the volume.

What if I only know the diameter of the cylinder instead of the radius?

If you only know the diameter of the cylinder, you can use the formula V = ¼πd²h to calculate the volume. In this formula, d represents the diameter instead of the radius. You can also convert the diameter to radius by dividing it by 2 and then use the original formula, V = πr²h.