1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    Imagine a trough filled with water (I can't put up a picture).
    The water in the tank at time t seconds is given by [tex]V = 12x^2[/tex]. Given that water is flowing into the trough at the rate of [tex]60 cm^3/s[/tex], find the rate at which x is increasing when x = 10.

[tex]\frac{dV}{dx} = 24x[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d?}{ds} = 60 cm^3/s[/tex]
    Then what do I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who's "x" and what does your second equation stand for...?

Daniel.

4. Feb 19, 2005 #3
    If it shouldn't be x, can you tell me what it should be? I don't know what to do for the second equation. I just know its [tex]\frac{d\text{ something}}{dx} = 60 cm^3/s[/tex]. Again, if I'm wrong please tell me what it should be.

5. Feb 19, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know about "x",what is its point...But:
    [tex] \frac{dV}{dt}=24x \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

,uding the chain rule...Now plug in the values and solve for the rate of "x"...

Daniel.

6. Feb 19, 2005 #5
    Oh now I know why you asked me about the second equation. I always get mixed up and put ds instead of dt :grumpy: .
    So I got 1440x. I know thats not the final answer because theres still the x = 10 part. And I'm confused on that part.

7. Feb 19, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,[itex] \frac{dV}{dt}=60cm^{3}s^{-1} [/itex]...x=10,you must find [itex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex]...

Daniel.

8. Feb 19, 2005 #7
    I thought [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 60 cm^3/s[/tex] and I've to find [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] which is 1440x?

9. Feb 19, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,it's the other way aroung,the volume is increasing at the rate given in the problem...:wink:

Daniel.

10. Feb 19, 2005 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point is that
    [tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= \frac{dV}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
    (the chain rule).

You are given [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] and you can (and did) calculate [itex]\frac{dV}{dx}[/itex]. Put them into that equation and solve for [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex].

11. Feb 19, 2005 #10
    Oh... Got it! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?