Is Changing Radius Constant Equal to a Constant Rate of Change in Area?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the area and radius of a circle. It is stated that if the change in radius with respect to time is constant, the rate of change of the area with respect to time still depends on the radius of the circle at some time. Therefore, if \frac{dr}{dt} is constant, then \frac{dA}{dt} is not constant. This is because as the radius increases at a constant rate, the rate of change of the area does not change at a constant rate.
whynot314
A=[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]r^{2}[/itex]

therfore,

[itex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

The question is if [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] is constant is [itex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex] constant?

To me, I know that if the change in radius with respect to time is constant, The rate of change of the are with respect to time still depends on the radius of the circle at some time. Therefore dA/dt is not constant.

Is this right?

Also am I wording this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
whynot314 said:
A=[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]r^{2}[/itex]

therfore,

[itex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex]=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]
No.
$$ \frac{dA}{dt} =2\pi r \frac{dr}{dt}$$
whynot314 said:
The question is if [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] is constant is [itex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex] constant?
Does what I wrote answer your question?
whynot314 said:
To me, I know that if the change in radius with respect to time is constant, The rate of change of the are with respect to time still depends on the radius of the circle at some time. Therefore dA/dt is not constant.

Is this right?

Also am I wording this correctly?

whoops yea forgot the r there, That was the r I was talking about in my answer. so what I said still applies right?

Right, dA/dt is not constant. Even if r increases at a constant rate (i.e., dr/dt is constant), dA/dt does not change at a constant rate.

Thanks

1. What does changing radius constant mean?

Changing radius constant refers to the process of altering the radius of a circle while keeping it constant throughout the change. This means that the radius does not vary or fluctuate during the alteration.

2. Is changing radius constant the same as increasing radius at a constant rate?

No, changing radius constant and increasing radius at a constant rate are not the same. Changing radius constant means keeping the radius constant while altering it, whereas increasing radius at a constant rate means gradually increasing the radius by the same amount over a period of time.

3. What is a constant rate of change in area?

A constant rate of change in area refers to the rate at which the area of a shape increases or decreases over time. It means that the change in area remains consistent throughout the process.

4. How does changing radius constant affect the area of a circle?

Changing radius constant has a direct impact on the area of a circle. As the radius is altered, the area of the circle also changes. The larger the radius, the greater the area, and vice versa.

5. Can the area of a circle change at a constant rate if the radius is not constant?

No, the area of a circle cannot change at a constant rate if the radius is not constant. This is because the area of a circle is dependent on the radius, and any change in the radius will result in a change in the area. In order to have a constant rate of change in area, the radius must also be changing at a constant rate.