1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of change

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    how do you calculate the rate of change in a graph?? is it just the gradient??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since your "rate of change" sounds terribly vague,i'll assume that it means "the change in <<y>> corresponding to an infinitesimal change in <<x>>",which means the derivative of the function at a specific point.

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    Usually a premise, whether assumed or not, is followed by a conclusion. You didn't address his question :rofl:

The rate of change at a point on a graph is the slope or gradient at that given point. For linear graphs of form [itex] y = mx + b [/itex] the gradient is constant throughout the graph, for others calculus is used to find the rate of change.
  5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, he did when he said "which means the derivative of the function at a specific point." "Derivative" is what us Yanks call the "gradient".
  6. Jun 15, 2005 #5
    In that case, its a run-on sentence :biggrin:, and thats why it doesn't make immediate sense.

I was taught math in the US and I've only heard gradient when it comes to vector fields. This is the only place I've heard gradient used instead of slope or derivative.
  7. Jun 16, 2005 #6
    Thanks for the replies, sorry it has caused tension in this debate about my vague question, the derivative of an equation is the gradient simple really... and its a her not a he

plus what other answers other than the change in y and x, could there be on a graph??
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?