Rate of change

  • Thread starter flo123
  • Start date
  • #1
8
0
how do you calculate the rate of change in a graph?? is it just the gradient??
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
13,172
741
Since your "rate of change" sounds terribly vague,i'll assume that it means "the change in <<y>> corresponding to an infinitesimal change in <<x>>",which means the derivative of the function at a specific point.

Daniel.
 
  • #3
2,210
1
dextercioby said:
Since your "rate of change" sounds terribly vague,i'll assume that it means "the change in <<y>> corresponding to an infinitesimal change in <<x>>",which means the derivative of the function at a specific point.

Daniel.

Usually a premise, whether assumed or not, is followed by a conclusion. You didn't address his question :rofl:

The rate of change at a point on a graph is the slope or gradient at that given point. For linear graphs of form [itex] y = mx + b [/itex] the gradient is constant throughout the graph, for others calculus is used to find the rate of change.
 
  • #4
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
41,847
967
whozum said:
Usually a premise, whether assumed or not, is followed by a conclusion. You didn't address his question :rofl:

Yes, he did when he said "which means the derivative of the function at a specific point." "Derivative" is what us Yanks call the "gradient".
 
  • #5
2,210
1
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, he did when he said "which means the derivative of the function at a specific point." "Derivative" is what us Yanks call the "gradient".

In that case, its a run-on sentence :biggrin:, and thats why it doesn't make immediate sense.

I was taught math in the US and I've only heard gradient when it comes to vector fields. This is the only place I've heard gradient used instead of slope or derivative.
 
  • #6
8
0
Thanks for the replies, sorry it has caused tension in this debate about my vague question, the derivative of an equation is the gradient simple really... and its a her not a he

plus what other answers other than the change in y and x, could there be on a graph??
 
Last edited:

Related Threads on Rate of change

  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
444
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
232
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
5K
Top