1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of continuous creation

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    Question:
    Estimate the rate of continuous creation required to keep the density of the universe constant at 10-26kg/m3. Express your answer in protons/year/km3.

Attempt:
    Assuming a spherical matter-dominated Friedmann universe, we know from solving the fluid equation that ρ ∝ 1/a3 (where ρ is the energy density and a is the scale factor).

I believe the result of the continuous creation is that ∂ρ/∂r = 0 - hence the change in density due to expansion is cancelled out by the change in density due to the continuous creation:
    ∂ρexpansion/∂r = -∂ρcreation/∂r
    Thus I am expecting that the continuous creation's energy density will vary as ρcreation ∝ a3.

However I do not know how to progress this any further, such that any advice, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Note: I do not know what the correct answer is!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to know how the scale parameter ##a## changes with time.

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    And so this is the Hubble parameter then?

H = 1/a × da/dt

5. May 3, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That seems a reasonable place to go... a lot depends on your coursework to date.

6. May 4, 2016 #5
    OK thank you! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted