1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of convergence in an algorithm

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the operating temperature for a flash unit.

[tex]osf_2= 0.9[/tex] [tex]P = 750 mmHg[/tex]
    [tex]f_1=30, A_1=15.9, B_1=2788.5, C_1=-52.3[/tex]
    [tex]f_2=50, A_2=16.0, B_2=3096.5, C_2=-53.7[/tex]
    [tex]f_3=40, A_3=16.1, B_3=3096.5, C_3=-59.4[/tex]

[tex]T_{guess} = 400K[/tex]

calculate [tex]P_i^0=exp\left(A_i-\frac{B_i}{T_guess+C_i}\right)[/tex] for all components

calculate [tex]K_i=\frac{P_i^0}{P}[/tex] for all components

calculate [tex]\alpha_\frac{i}{2}=\frac{K_i}{K_2}[/tex] for all components

calculate [tex]osf_i=\frac{\alpha_\frac{i}{2}\cdot osf_2}{1+\left(\alpha_\frac{i}{2}-1\right)\cdot osf_2}[/tex]

calculate
    [tex]v_i=osf_i\cdot f_i[/tex]
    [tex]l_i=(1-osf_i)\cdot f_i[/tex]
    [tex]y_i=\frac{v_i}{V}[/tex]
    [tex]x_i=\frac{l_i}{L}[/tex]
    for all components

calculate a new [tex]K_2^{new}=\frac{1}{\alpha_\frac{1}{2}\cdot x_1+\alpha_\frac{2}{2}\cdot x_2+\alpha_\frac{3}{2}\cdot x_3}[/tex]

calculate [tex]K_1^{new}=\alpha_\frac{1}{2}\cdot K_2^{new}[/tex] and [tex]K_3^{new}=\alpha_\frac{3}{2}\cdot K_2^{new}[/tex]

calculate new [tex]P_i^0=P \cdot K_i^{new}[/tex] for all components

calculate new [tex]T_i=\frac{B_i}{A_i-\log{P_i^0}}-C_i[/tex]

When comparing the new temperatures to the guessed temperature, [tex]T_3[/tex] will always be closer. As i understand [tex]T_3[/tex] converges faster.

Prove this analytical.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{K_1^j}{K_1^{j-1}} = \frac{K_2^j}{K_2^{j-1}} = \frac{K_3^j}{K_3^{j-1}}[/tex] where j indicates new value and j-1 from the iteration before

From the definition of [tex]K_i[/tex], this eq. can be written.

[tex]\frac{P_1^j}{P_1^{j-1}} = \frac{P_2^j}{P_2^{j-1}} = \frac{P_3^j}{P_3^{j-1}} = Q[/tex]

I then define this equation, which is the square of the deviation of the new temperature to the previous temperature.

[tex]y\left( P_i^j, f \right) = \left( T_{guess} - \frac{B_i^j}{A_i^j - \ln(P_i^j)} + C_i^j \right)^2 = \left( T_{guess} - \frac{B_i^j}{A_i^j - \ln(f + P_i^{j-1})} + C_i^j \right)^2[/tex]

where

[tex]f = P_i^j - P_i^{j-1} = Q \cdot P_i^{j-1} -P_i^{j-1} = P_i^{j-1} \cdot (Q-1)[/tex]

My idea was to show that this square of deviation always is smaller for component 3 but I can't get further.
    Im new to comparing rate of convergence so maybe my solution is in the totally wrong direction. I appreciate any help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted