Rate of Convergence: Definition, Calculus & Examples

In summary, the Wikipedia article defines the rate of convergence for a sequence as the speed at which the sequence approaches its limit. The limit of a function is a point where the function's speed of convergence comes to a stop. For a function like lnx, which is a very slow function, the rate of convergence is very slow and the limit is essentially infinity.
petermer
Hi to all! I'm new to calculus and would like to know how to find the rate of convergence for a function. I'm aware of the Wikipedia article, but it only defines it for a sequence. So, what is the general definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
what are you hoping your function converges on?

i would have imagined you are trying to find the rate of convergence of a sequence approximating the function.

For example, I'd like to find the rate of convergence of lnx as it approaches infinity.

as you sure you're not trying to find the limit of ln(x) as x approaces infinity?

the limit as x goes to infinity of ln(x) is infinity. what are you hoping ln(x) converges on?

if you're talking about the rate of convergence of the taylor series expansion of ln(x), the series only converges in the range -1 <= x < 1. it diverges outside this range so makes not sense to test the rate of convergence of it as x goes to infinity.

to be honest, i don't understand what you are asking.

I do know it's limit, but I'm trying to find the rate (name it 'velocity') with which this function converges to it's limit, infinity. I'm referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_convergence" Wikipedia article. There, for example, it is mentioned that the sequence 1/2^x converges to it's limit to infinity, 0, with a rate of 1/2. I just look for a more generalized version of this method.

Last edited by a moderator:
from your wiki link, the speed at which a convergent sequence approaches its limit is called the rate of convergence...

ln(x) isn't a convergent series, it's a function.

and as mentioned before, the series expansion for ln(x) only converges for a small range of x.

Ok, I certainly agree with that. But it is a fact that the function lnx is a very slow function, meaning it converges to infinity (as x goes to infinity) with a very slow rate. I understand that I do not have a series here, but would like to know if there is a similar method to the rate of convergence for functions.

well if [tex]y = \ln x[/tex], then i guess that [tex]dy/dx = 1/x[/tex] so evaluting the limit of this would give 0... which makes sense if you interpret what [tex]\ln x[/tex] looks like graphically.

as expected, the rate of change of the function would slow down to a point where it's basically not changing as x goes to infinity.

1. What is the definition of rate of convergence?

The rate of convergence is a measure of how quickly a sequence of values approaches a specific limit or target value. It can also refer to the speed at which a numerical method or algorithm converges to a solution.

2. How is rate of convergence calculated?

The rate of convergence is typically calculated using the formula: r = limn→∞ |an+1 - L| / |an - L|, where r represents the rate of convergence, an is the nth term in the sequence, and L is the limiting value or solution.

3. What is the significance of rate of convergence in calculus?

In calculus, the rate of convergence is an important concept in understanding the behavior of sequences and series. It helps determine the speed at which a sequence of values approaches a limit, and can also be used to analyze the convergence of numerical methods used to approximate solutions to problems.

4. Can you provide an example of rate of convergence?

One example of rate of convergence is the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,..., where each term is half of the previous term. This sequence has a rate of convergence of 1/2, meaning that each term is half of the distance from the previous term to the limiting value of 0.

5. How does rate of convergence relate to the concept of error in numerical methods?

The rate of convergence is directly related to the error in numerical methods. A higher rate of convergence indicates that the numerical method is converging to the true solution at a faster rate, resulting in a smaller error. Conversely, a lower rate of convergence indicates a slower convergence and a larger error in the approximation.