Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of deformation tensor

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    Hello, I have difficulty interpreting the following fact (I'm reading Cotinuum Mechanics by Spencer). The relative velocity between two nearby points P and Q in the current configuarion is given by: [itex]dv_i=D_{ik}dx_k + W_{ik}dx_k[/itex]
    where [itex] D_{ik}=\frac{d}{dt}e_{ik} [/itex] is the rate of deformation tensor being equal to the material derivative of the linear eulerian deformation tensor and the part involving the vorticity tensor W_ik can be interpreted as a pure rotation about an axes through the point P. This expression is "exact" despite the appearance of the linear eulerian tensor. Now comes the paradox: if D_ik=0 then all points near P simply "rotate rigidly" and this strongly suggest that there is no change of the (non linear) eulerian tensor E_ik which is and exact measure of deformation around P however only the linear part of the tensor vanishes so it seems that despite the pure rotation about P there is a change in the eulerian deformation tensor E_ik,ie, this tensor changes but the deformation does not change.
    Can someone point out my mistake?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted