Rate of Evaporation: Experiment Ideas & Thoughts

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using an experiment to plot a graph for a maths coursework related to the rate of evaporation of water. The idea is to heat water to boiling point and measure the rate of mass decrease, with the assumption that as the mass decreases, less energy is required to change the temperature. There is also a question about whether this experiment would be viable or if there is a need for clarification on certain aspects.
MelanieBrett
Hi
I was thinking of doing an experiment for my maths coursework to plot a graph to, and was thinking of doing something related to the rate of evaporation of water. My thinking is that i conduct an experiment where I heat water to boiling point so it is at about a constant temperature with a constant power source and measure the rate that the mass decreases. I thought that if Q=mcT, then as the mass decreases a smaller amount of energy is required to in effect change the temperature.
I'm not too sure, I'd hope that if i plotted mass against time I would get a -ve log graph which I could determine a formula for?
If anyone had any comments/thoughts as to whether it would be viable or if I needed to clarify something I wold be grateful to hear them :)
Thanks, B

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I should be referring to boiling rather than evaporation?

MelanieBrett said:
I thought that if Q=mcT, then as the mass decreases a smaller amount of energy is required to in effect change the temperature.

If you increase the temperature of the water to its boiling point, the temperature stays constant and all the heat input changes the water to steam (look up "latent energy"). So a constant heat input would cause a constant decrease of mass.

1. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment on the rate of evaporation?

The purpose of conducting an experiment on the rate of evaporation is to investigate the factors that affect the speed at which a liquid changes into a gas. This information can be useful in understanding the processes of evaporation and can have practical applications in industries such as agriculture, meteorology, and materials science.

2. What are some variables that can affect the rate of evaporation?

Some variables that can affect the rate of evaporation include temperature, humidity, surface area, air flow, and the type of liquid being evaporated. Other factors such as altitude, pressure, and presence of impurities can also have an impact on the rate of evaporation.

3. How can you design an experiment to investigate the rate of evaporation?

To design an experiment on the rate of evaporation, you will need to identify the independent and dependent variables, control variables, and the method of measurement. You can vary the independent variable, such as temperature, and measure the dependent variable, such as the time it takes for a certain amount of liquid to evaporate. It is important to control other variables to ensure accurate results.

4. What are some possible sources of error in an experiment on the rate of evaporation?

Possible sources of error in an experiment on the rate of evaporation include inaccurate measurements, changes in environmental conditions, and evaporation from sources other than the liquid being tested. It is important to carefully control and monitor all variables to minimize sources of error.

5. How can the results of an experiment on the rate of evaporation be applied in real life?

The results of an experiment on the rate of evaporation can be applied in real life in various ways. For example, understanding the factors that affect evaporation can help farmers determine the best time to water their crops. In the field of meteorology, knowledge of evaporation rates can be used to predict weather patterns. Additionally, industries such as food preservation and pharmaceuticals can use this information to improve their processes and products.