Calculating Force Exerted by Water Pumped at a Given Rate and Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the force exerted on a truck that pumps water through a hose at a given rate and velocity. The suggested solution involves using Newton's second law and momentum, with the assumption that 10kg of water is accelerated from 0m/s to 20m/s in one second.
hhh79bigo
Hi

I hope some one will be able to help me.

I have a problem which requires me to find the force exerted on a truck which pumps water from its tank and through a hose at a rate of 10kg/s. The speed that the water exits the hose is 20m/s.

This is all the info i am given,

Thanks in advance

Regards

hhh79bigo

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the little bit you are given, I guess you'll have to use Newton's second law and momentum and use:

[tex]F = \dot{m} V[/tex] where

[tex]\dot{m}[/tex] = mass flow rate in kg/sec

[tex]V[/tex] = velocity normal to cross sectional area at exit in m/s

There are a lot of assumptions going on here.

Thanks alot

What are these assumptions,

The problem appears to be saying that, in one second, 10 kg of water is accelerated from 0 m/s (sitting in the tank) to 20 m/s: from 0 to 20 m/s in one second is 20 m/s2 so F= ma= (10 kg)(20 m/s2)= 200 Newtons. Strictly speaking that that is the force the trucks pump applies to the water but, of course, it is the same as the force the water applies to the truck.

1. What is the difference between rate of flow and velocity?

Rate of flow refers to the volume of fluid passing through a specific point in a given amount of time, while velocity refers to the speed and direction of fluid flow.

2. How is rate of flow and velocity measured?

Rate of flow is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second. Velocity is measured in units of distance per unit time, such as meters per second.

3. What factors affect the rate of flow and velocity of a fluid?

The rate of flow and velocity of a fluid can be affected by factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the container or channel it is flowing through, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid.

4. How does the rate of flow and velocity of a fluid impact its behavior?

The rate of flow and velocity of a fluid can impact its behavior in various ways, such as determining the amount of force it exerts on objects it comes into contact with, influencing the formation of eddies and turbulence, and affecting the rate of diffusion and mixing.

5. How can rate of flow and velocity be controlled or manipulated?

Rate of flow and velocity can be controlled and manipulated through various methods, including changing the size and shape of the channel or container, altering the viscosity of the fluid, and applying external forces such as pumps or turbines.